Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red or amber turn signal lenses? Here is an interesting finding

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:20 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my RK flashed so that the rear turn signals now also act as brake lights. This gives me three brake lights instead of one. If you do this, you also must change the rear lenses from amber to red. Rear signal lights can be amber or red, but rear brake lights must be red.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Tracker1
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 01 RK has front and back amber and I like that. I just wish I had a brighter brake light.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 372 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker1
My 01 RK has front and back amber and I like that. I just wish I had a brighter brake light.
A brighter brake light is easy to get, just check out Custom Dynamics and throw some $$$$ at it.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker1
Kuryakyn makes a run-turn-brake module for your '01. I had one on my '12 RK + loved it. The new wiring harness wouldn't permit me to transfer it to the '15 I have now. The RTB module turns your turn signals into brake lights and running lights. It also flashes your lights three times when the brakes are apllied if you want. However, you do need to change the rear lens to red to be legal and it does not change the brightness of the existing lite. I highly recommend this mod. Rear lighting is my biggest complaint on the RG, SG, and now RK Special.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Tracker1
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I need to do something, I feel the stock rear lighting makes me very vulnerable to rear hits.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:43 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
If the rear H-D lens are amber they are only running and turn signal lights and the rear will have a centered red stop and running light. However if only reds on the back and no center lamp they are running, stop and turn signal's.

The exception is the Street Glides and Road Glides which are all red for all functions plus a centered red running light frenched into the lower fender that is a running light only.

In the US the front signals can only be amber.

Are we on board now?
ih4X4, you are almost right: If yellow lights on the rear, they are only turn signals, not running lights, stock. If RTB is installed, they become t/s and brake lights and running lights and must be converted red.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
If the rear H-D lens are amber they are only running and turn signal lights and the rear will have a centered red stop and running light. However if only reds on the back and no center lamp they are running, stop and turn signal's.

The exception is the Street Glides and Road Glides which are all red for all functions plus a centered red running light frenched into the lower fender that is a running light only.

In the US the front signals can only be amber.

Are we on board now?
double post

Old 04-23-2017, 11:58 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by CRocks
Kuryakyn makes a run-turn-brake module for your '01. I had one on my '12 RK + loved it. The new wiring harness wouldn't permit me to transfer it to the '15 I have now. The RTB module turns your turn signals into brake lights and running lights. It also flashes your lights three times when the brakes are apllied if you want. However, you do need to change the rear lens to red to be legal and it does not change the brightness of the existing lite. I highly recommend this mod. Rear lighting is my biggest complaint on the RG, SG, and now RK Special.
The Harley sold RTB is about $70 and comes with small/large red lenses. Good quality part. 5 minute install once seat is removed.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 327 Likes on 147 Posts

On each of my bikes including the 305 Scrambler, I used amber lenses instead of red as the amber stands out in the sea of red at a stop, or while moving. The HD and CL have amber running/blinker and brake illumination in addition to the OEM red lamp, and the CB750 has amber running lights and blinkers as well as the original brake lamp. It may be illegal, but I've been fortunate so far to not get ticketed. If I have to change them back, guess I'll get a hi-viz vest!

Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 PM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
This is why most firetrucks have one flashing amber light up high. Unbelievable how much easier it is to see.
Then we got the illegal smoked lenses some idiots put on their bikes, cars and trucks. Not illegal during the day but must be removed at night, ya right. Just don't understand why especially on a bike you want to be less noticeable.
Here in Ontario/Canada running lights are required on the front and the rear signals are amber. I have the CD smoke tail light (withnflasher), smoke tri-bar light, and CD amber signal lights with lightly smoked lenses. Friends that ride with me say that the bike is highly visible from the rear and MUCH brighter than stock. They have no problem seeing me in all riding conditions. I agree that dark smoked lenses with standard bulbs are probably an issue, but if done properly, lightly smoked lenses can look great and function just fine.