Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red or amber turn signal lenses? Here is an interesting finding

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Red or amber turn signal lenses? Here is an interesting finding

I often wondered why my 2006 Ultra had amber turn signal lenses on the front--and red lenses on the rear. I got curious and went online to ask a general question. The following is specific to cars, but it makes sense for motorcycles too: "In 2008, NHTSA (the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, responsible for writing U.S. vehicle safety standards) released tentative findings that amber (“yellow”) turn signals are up to 28% more effective at avoiding crashes than red ones. Then, in 2009, they released preliminary findings that across all situations, including those in which turn signals don’t matter, vehicles with amber rear turn signals are 5.3% less likely to be hit from behind than otherwise-identical vehicles with red ones.

That means amber turn signals were seen as being more effective at avoiding crashes than the center third brake light (CHMSL) mandated in 1986 (with a 4.3% crash avoidance)."

It turns out that most other nations in the world REQUIRE amber turn signals. Only the United States says either color is okay (there is some square inch requirement that seems like mumbo jumbo).

Anyway, it always seemed odd to me that we have the legal choice of keeping our red lenses--or, changing them to amber. Seems like the choice of amber is the smarter choice.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

What's even dumber to me is, amber in the front and red outback. Why not the same color on both ends? My "other" Vtwin is amber front and back on the blinkers. I assume it is because on my Road King the flashers serve triple duty as tailight, brake light and blinkers.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Yup, that's why. If the light is going to be on all of the time, it helps traffic to know if they are looking at your front or your back. Same for reflectors. Amber on the front and red on the back.

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:53 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Harkon, that makes sense--the front and rear designation. However, would not an always-on headlight adequately or even forcefully make the orientation clear? As far as I recall, headlights always-on for road-bikes have been required for motorcycles for a long time. Most of us would make that smart decision anyway, of course.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I put amber lens covers on my passing lamps from Cee Baileys. Gives the bike an unmistaken look coming at you.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,558 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Both my Harley's came with amber turn signals front and rear. After reading that article, I figured I'd order amber for my King, as quite frankly, I was not sure what color they were on it. I went out and looked, amber. The Sporty I knew was amber front and rear. Guess I have not had to change a bulb yet on the King turning signals, though I have thought about an upgrade to LEDs.

Looks like Road Kings come standard with amber, Glides with red.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 04-20-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

This is why most firetrucks have one flashing amber light up high. Unbelievable how much easier it is to see.
Then we got the illegal smoked lenses some idiots put on their bikes, cars and trucks. Not illegal during the day but must be removed at night, ya right. Just don't understand why especially on a bike you want to be less noticeable.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 PM
f150bft
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself, I like the look of the red rear's. I have always thought the amber didn't belong on the rear of anything. My new to me '09 Ultra came with smoke lens front and rear and I replaced the rear with red. The front look better with the smoke lens(amber bulbs) than the OEM kinda orangeish color. My tour pack was converted to the LED's like the newer Ultras so it lights up like a Christmas tree.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I put red lenses on the rear when I installed the run/brake/turn module. Not different colors now but the back of the bike really lights up now that the tour pack lights are tied in as well.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,368 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Ambers front and rear on a 2013 Road Glide Ultra. I can remember when headlights on "24" hours became law. And few years later the U.S. made cars for the 48 states came out with Day Time Running lights. The idea behind the motorcycle headlights being on was so that we would be seen. Then the DLR's show up and guess what, we became invisible again because we were just another headlight on during the day.

Quick Reply: Red or amber turn signal lenses? Here is an interesting finding