Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody wire up the Aux Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
jwmu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody wire up the Aux Switch

I need to wire power to my GPS to the Aux switch on my Roadglide. I want to do this because the Aux switch in located on the front fork and would move with the GPS mounted to the handlebar.

Has anyone wired up to the Aux switch on a Roadglide? If so can you please share any details/pointers about the process. I am mostly interested in determining what must be removed to access the switch - i actually teach electronics so once I gain access to the switch I should beok.

thanks,

[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Anybody wire up the Aux Switch

There is a plug under your seat in front of the battery that the AUX switch controls... Use mine for my Boogie lights

Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
jwmu
Advanced

How would you run the wire up to the handlebar then? Under the tank, on top of the tank?

I was familiar withthe knowledge that thisplug existed from the forum, but thought I might disconnect it and wire my power cord directly to the Aux switch. Maybe it is too much trouble to remove the fairing to get to the switch?

What do you all think?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

easier to run wire under tank--> hood. hope that helps

Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
jwmu
Advanced

I did it!

I was able to go up from underneath the Aux Switch on my Roadglide (tight, very tight area) and access the terminals (power feed to the Switch). I scraped off a little insulation from the wires with a sharp lockblade knife and soldered in my power wires to the GPS. Patience was the key - if I had cut one of those wires -- it would have been a major pain in **** .

Now I have 12VDC (GPS is charging) when the key is on or in Aux position, and the Aux Switch does not need to be on as I used the feed power terminals. I can still use the plug nder the seat with the Aux Switch for something else later on. Very cool .

The job took me a couple hours because of the awkward angles thatI had to work on - my neck is killing me, but I'm a happy camper now.

Here are some pics of the install. Cheers and thanks to those who replied to this thread.

jwmu