Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gutted cat vs true dual sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,752 Likes on 2,477 Posts
Default gutted cat vs true dual sound

2011 RK 103 engine which is stock. I put the street cannons on it but it still has the converter. (I have an FP3) I planned to gut it but the reality is the design directs most of the flow out the right muffler and therefore most of the sound I imagine which would also effect the sound. Im thinking the true dual straight pipes that follow the stock path would be an improvement in sound vs the gutted stock head pipe. Thoughts? Experiences? I know sound preference is subjective, I guess Im wondering if someone can say yes its different and yes its deeper or it provides a specific sound vs the blended OEM route.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

I like the cobra duals that have the mixing chamber to keep the theory of 2-1 but the look of true duals I think by getting rid of the cat they sound better too. little louder and deeper

Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

go to a bike night and see which sound you prefer.
There will almost always be someone there with an exhaust system similar t what you are considering.
Ask if you can ride near them, you'll be able to judge noise levels and also be able to see how their power curve is affected, when they shift etc.

There IS a difference in performance- maybe you can live with the change in power. that would be my prime consideration.

with dual pipes you loose the benefit of scavenging which is added power at little cost

Mike

Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Thank you gentlemen.

Not too many bike shows I know of out where I live so the only real way is I buy the part and try it.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

They do sound different. A dual will sound more split than the 2:1:2. I am not sure if it is deeper in tone but they seem louder.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Not too many bike shows I know of ...
aren;t you up by Barrie?

HD dealer there has bike nights June 1 and 8 and a few other events on the calendar.

Most dealers host bike night, bbq's and other events.

Mike

Old 05-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

I own both. A 2015 110 with a Fulsac 2-1-2 head pipe, and a 2010 110 with Rinehart True duals. I also had a 2010 with V&H Dresser Duals. As you said sound is subjective. But too me......a 2 into 2 system always sounds better. The 2-1-2 head pipe makes more torque, and hp, but the sound is a little muffled. The 2-2 systems sound crisper and have more distinct exhaust sounds. They give up a little torque though in the lower rpms.
Then their is always the 2 into 1, didn't like the sound of them at first.....but they are starting to grow on me.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:08 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Thank you gentlemen.

Not too many bike shows I know of out where I live so the only real way is I buy the part and try it.
go to you tube and type in what ever you want to hear and you be the judge. use good ear phones

Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
aren;t you up by Barrie?

HD dealer there has bike nights June 1 and 8 and a few other events on the calendar.

Most dealers host bike night, bbq's and other events.

Mike
Yes I'm just north of Barrie but I haven't gone to any shows, didn't know of any and Im not connected to anyone that rides up here so I figured when am I going to ever have a chance to listen to one in person?

I don't like the idea of losing torque. You would think the suppliers would make a true dual pipe smaller in diameter overall, or maybe step it which is also good for anti-reversion and would give back some lost torque while providing the sound.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the torque loss is due to no scavenging- a motor with individual straight pipes will make gobs of power at 6000 rpms...but on our harleys that's just before the pushrods come up into the gas tank.

choose the motor enhancements for the rpm range in which you ride.

with no torque you have to rev and slip the clutch to get moving from a stop...that's why the kid with the 6" muffler on the honda has t make all that noise to get going from the stop sign at the corner

on a top fuel car, the motor only makes power at high rpms so they use cluch slip to control power- on a P51 mustang they use the prop pitch...nut neither of those motors can do anything at 1500 rpms- if you tried, they'd just stall.

there are all kinds of ridiers who choose a "sound" or a "look" over function- and that's fine, it's their bike.
But they cant fight phsyics whether it's motor power or rake/trail

Your area has lots and lots of riders and events- go get some.
When I lived in TO in the 80's I was always doing something bike related- & i still keep a bike at my Pal's in Keswick

Mike

The following users liked this post:
5500 (05-20-2017)

Quick Reply: gutted cat vs true dual sound