Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak rear shock seemingly from the bottom

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:41 PM
packetof3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak rear shock seemingly from the bottom

Hi i have a 2015 CVO Road glide ultra. I was cleaning it today and noticed a small pool of fluid at the rear. On closer inspection i could see a drip from the bottom of the rear left shock. I checked the air pressure and it was still the same as the previous week. I have put up 10K kms on the bike. What problems am I likely to have? is it a warranty issue? is it repairable? Can they be purchased separately or is this false economy?

Regards,

Tony

Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Hi Tony,

many riders remove the air shocks in search of "better" ( which is always self-defined)...this means that used take off shocks are available for cheap- over here less than $100 a pair in great shape.

there are 12 inch versions for the street glides and the "X" custom models & 13" versions for the ultras etc

perhaps ebay would be a good place to look esp if you can find a pair in the EU and and not worry about tax man.

the seals can be blown out by using too high a volume pump- a bicycle pump may be too large- the pump harley sells is like a large syringe and this type is better

mike

Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 PM
packetof3
3rd Gear

Cheers Mike I use the Harley pump on all my bikes and never had any problems. My CVO is less than 2 years old and used on a weekly basis. I had not got the wife on the last spin and did not notice anything till 2 days later on the garage floor. Gonna give the dealership a bell tomorrow and see if I have any warranty left. Irish Bike fest is next weekend and its a long spin, i want to try and get it sorted before that. i think the worse thing that can happen is I blow the seal on the other side forcing a new set.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,623 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Should not be leaking fluid.

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and no leaks that I'm aware of yet but when I do I'm replacing them with the H-D Premium shocks.

I was extremely unhappy with mine when I first got my bike.
I had been having some back pain and every time I hit a bump I could feel it from my butt up to my neck!

I played with the PSI level in the shocks and I guess my "sweet" number is 20!
(PSI that is).
It seems to be about perfect for me at my 195-200 weight plus my gear and luggage and I keep my rear tire PSI as near to 38 as I can.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:25 AM
packetof3
3rd Gear
Default Cheers Amguy

I used the same pressure as I used on my previous ultra but maybe it was too much for the CVO. I normally ride 2 up so I had it at 30 psi. But even at lower I found it bottoming out and I agree it's not good for the back nor the skull as your spine tries to exit out the top of it. New parts in Ireland cost a pretty penny, even trying to get stuff shipped from USA nearly doubles the price. Just for example a new CVO Road glide ultra costs €45500 = $50900. Not sure how much the same bike costs you guys.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:54 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Better check even closer. The leak may not be the shock.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:08 AM
packetof3
3rd Gear
Default ??

Hi V, its coming off the bottom left rear shock opposite side of the brake calipers, so unless you think its the rider that's leaking what else are you thinking?

Old 05-27-2017, 10:27 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by packetof3
Hi V, its coming off the bottom left rear shock opposite side of the brake calipers, so unless you think its the rider that's leaking what else are you thinking?
What else are YOU thinking? "seemingly"?

Nothing specific, just that you need to be sure the shock is leaking before
replacing it. Fluids can get all over the place before hitting the ground.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:23 AM
packetof3
3rd Gear

Thanks Kickstart, it was parked in a dry garage and no trail left other than from the bottom of the shock. Inside of the rubber boot was dry also at the top end. I have been on to my dealer and he is trying to sort out a FOC or reasonable solution. Fingers crossed I should know Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the same problem this spring. Bike was parked all winter under a cover. When I took the cover off there was a noticeable puddle of oil near the right rear shock. I replaced the shocks with progressive 444's. During the replacement I found the left shock was weeping oil also, but not enough to make it to the ground. I think I spent more time cleaning the mess from the oil all over the back end than the time it took to replace the shocks.

In your case you might get your shock(s) replaced under warranty but they may be considered a ware item.

Mine lasted 5 years but I am not going to miss checking the air pressure.

Quick Reply: Leak rear shock seemingly from the bottom