Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the heads next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 PM
sabunimwil@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Are the heads next?

On to the next mod for my 2009 Ultra classic. I'm looking to have the heads ported and polished and maybe the valves done.
My question is this.... who can point me towards a reputable person/company to do the work for me? I will ship the heads out if necessary but I'd prefer to keep it local (San Antonio area).
So far I've got the high flow stage 2 intake, rush header with cfr slip ons, cobra fi200 tuner which will be changed to something else after the heads are done, tts 150 cams, and last but not least a variable pressure clutch with se spring plate to handle the extra grunt.
She runs OK but I need a little more umph when riding 2 up. I'm being led to believe the heads are the next step. If that's not correct I'm open to suggestions. Maybe a 103 kit? What's most economical and biggest bang for the buck?
Thanks in advance,

Igor

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 415 Likes on 251 Posts

Scott at Hillside Cycles?

Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star

Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

if your looking for the best bang for the buck...

http://www.head-quarters.com/html/new_products.html

Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM
sabunimwil@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GEORGEW
if your looking for the best bang for the buck...

http://www.head-quarters.com/html/new_products.html
that's some impressive numbers for stock heads. Will the bottom end hold up to it?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,943 Likes on 4,717 Posts

Dave Mackie, here is Cali, He's forgotten more about HD's that most know. incredible work, and a joy to talk with. Give him a call

Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Call Wolfgang Grasser, Mutant Motors in Baytown, Tx. Probably one of the best in the business. Good guy to deal with. Google him and see what all he can do.

The following users liked this post:
xcbullet (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I vote for Kirby at Vee Twin Racing, DeLand FL.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a Fuel Moto Stage 2 set up on my 96" RK and it runs great. Super happy with it actually. But I do want one more bump in power to go from adequate to respectable. As such, I have been doing similar research to the OP regarding my next steps.

Fuel Moto of course recommends the 107 kit. I bought and installed the Wood 555 cams in anticipation of this, so makes sense to me. Triple nickel cams are a little big for the 96, but huge improvement over stock. With a 10.25:1 107, the 555s become big mid-range cams with plenty of low end.

Last week I also spoke to Scott @ Hillside regarding heads vs. big bore kit. His assessment is that we can't get there compression-wise with the 96" pistons so the biggest bang for the buck is still the big bore setup.

My plan is still FM 107 with their cylinders leveraging my Wood 555s with stock heads, that should yield approx 105hp and say 115-120 in torque when well tuned. Maybe an upgraded clutch. Done!

Last edited by seanl; 06-19-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
====================

Hillside Cycle or fuel Motor would be the only people i would trust to do extensive engine work & thats coming from someone (ME) thats been wrenching cars & bikes for just shy of now 5 decades including building motors and or installing perf mods etc .

So i have the background to see these guys know what they are doing along with them also being good honest people to deal with too.

I say that from reading all the feedback i have read over the yrs here in HDforums from people that have done bizz with them 1st hand and what they (Hillside & Fuel Moto) have posted over the yrs here in hdforums showing what type they are too.

Time after time yr after yr they both seem to get very good feedback here in which means a lot coming from people that have directly dealt with them 1st hand showing what they are about.

And we all know how hard it is to please everyone (Esp HD guys!/LOL!!) and they seem to always do it even if an issue is to arise they correct it to the customers satisfaction which is all you can ask for.

Scott

Quick Reply: Are the heads next?