Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it's hot my bike sounds like a woodpecker!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Sghdowner
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When it's hot my bike sounds like a woodpecker!

My bike is now named woody! Hello I bought my bike in December of last year. I have been riding it a lot since I live in California. It's been cool and the bike has ran perfectly. Since the temps have picked up here the bike has taken to sounding like a woodpecker at idle. When I stop and it's warm instead of the normal lope it's going double time. It's a 2014 Street Glide Special FLHXS. The only engine mods so far are Vance and Hines slip on's. it's annoying the crap out of me. Anyone else experience this and what did you do to fix it? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

I wouldn't call the sound a woodpecker, but it might be EITMS kicking in. Look it up in your owner's manual and it will tell you about it, and how to disable it if you don't like it.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Go to the root cause of the heat....it's running too lean and the cat isn't helping on top of that. Address the tune, and you won't have to disable the EITMS.

Our bikes coming out of the factory are tuned way back, for a number of reasons, and tend to run really hot. Once "tuned", the heat issues aren't so prevalent.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Go to the root cause of the heat....it's running too lean and the cat isn't helping on top of that. Address the tune, and you won't have to disable the EITMS.

Our bikes coming out of the factory are tuned way back, for a number of reasons, and tend to run really hot. Once "tuned", the heat issues aren't so prevalent.
The newer bikes have the EITMS setup on ambient temp instead of engine temps so tuning is not gonna stop it. If you don't like it you can disable it. Not gonna hurt a thing either way.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Sghdowner
Advanced

Originally Posted by gipper

Thanks everyone. I turned it off for now and will turn it on if it's a hot day and I'm riding in traffic.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Well, if it's not EITMS...or if it's not a habitually lean condition...and if it's not a Harley just being a Harley, because they really are noisier than most other engines...I would suggest installing a set of Rock Outs...lotsa information in this forum and in their website. For sixteen bux, you can hardly go wrong, and they worked well for me!

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Sghdowner
Advanced

Originally Posted by Veekness
Well, if it's not EITMS...or if it's not a habitually lean condition...and if it's not a Harley just being a Harley, because they really are noisier than most other engines...I would suggest installing a set of Rock Outs...lotsa information in this forum and in their website. For sixteen bux, you can hardly go wrong, and they worked well for me!

i will check it out. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:44 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

You think Woodpeckers are sexy too?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,575 Likes on 3,822 Posts

It's hunting and that is the way Harley keeps a tad resemblance of the potato-potato with 1000 rpm idle.
My guess is since Harleys fire each cylinder opposite of each other but it's not 270 each time, it's uneven that compounds it needing close to 75 rpm to catch itself.
You need a metric with two crank pins like a Honda.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

PeckerWood!

Quick Reply: When it's hot my bike sounds like a woodpecker!