Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Ultra 100K mile report

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:49 AM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2006 Ultra 100K mile report

Hi guys,

I haven’t been on the forum for quite a while, but I’ll be crossing the 100K mile mark on my way home from work today (on my 2006 Ultra) so I thought I’d visit again and give you feedback on some of the things I’ve done with the machine that I’d do again or not. For my opinion ranking 5 stars mean I’d definitely do again, 1 star means I wouldn’t do at all. Some other random observations are further down.

Engine build – It was punched to 95” about 75K miles ago with higher compression, a super tuner and 203 cams installed. Never had a problem with the build. While not really aggressive, I found the 203s to provide a smooth power curve and a bit of an old school “lope” at idle. One can never get as much power as they’d like, and with the 5 gallon tank, there’s always a bit of a tradeoff. 4 stars

Rinehart true duals – I really like the concept of true dual exhaust and the larger head pipe and throughput. In my case, I found that after a few hours of riding the Rineharts were too loud and my ears would be ringing most of the evening. Not fun for me. About 50K miles ago, I kept the Rinehart head pipes and put on Bub Stealth mufflers. IMO they have maintain a great sound, but at a more manageable sound level. Rinehart True Duals: 2 stars. Bub Stealth mufflers on Rinehart head pipes: 5 stars.

Chubby Wild One (WO577) bars
– I went through a number of bar configurations…Stock were much too low for me for longer rides giving me shoulder cramps. I tried Ergo Up bars for a while and for me the wrist position was quite uncomfortable and I’d get tingling in my hands and fingers. The WO577s were the right choice for me. Splicing to extend all those wires in the bars was a pain, but worth it. While I’m finding the chrome on the bars is not as good as the OEM chrome on the bike, I’m still giving the Chubby’s 5 stars. I have two Ergo Ups bars in my barn if anyone wants them.

Magnum +6 cable for the bars – look great and work fine. 5 stars

Screamin Eagle 6 speed – After coming back from Sturgis one year and riding through Wyoming, I really thought I needed a 6th gear for the speed limits (or lack thereof) in that state. Generally, I’m not spending enough miles sustained above 70 MPH to warrant the need for 6th. I think my ears wanted that gear more than the machine did. 1 star.

TrueTrack – If any of you guys are still riding a frame style similar to the 2006 or before (MoCo addressed this in later years), you may want to consider this. My Ex was a bigger girl and this frame supporting member helped a lot when loaded; kept from wallowing in the twistes a bit. 5 stars.

Progressive 440s on the rear suspension. After messing around a lot with the stock air suspension, fixing leaks, adjusting for trips, etc., I decided to change to the Progressives. It was a good choice for me. 4 stars.

Tour pak quick release kit – seemed cool, I could make my Ultra look like a Street Glide. Did it once, pain in the a$$ messing with antenna wires, etc. Now the quick release connectors are worn and the TP vibrates. 1 star.

Mustang seat works for me >80K miles; love the backrest too. 5 stars.

Alaska Leather’s sheepskin butt pad. Love ‘em. On my 3rd I think, I’m not sure if they really “wear out” or not, but after about 30K miles, they’re not as “cushy”. 5 stars.

Cap’n Itch glove box cup holders. I’d like to think Larry and I co-designed these. Here’s that thread. 5 stars, still used every time!

Long Ride “flip up” Shield. No problems; have had about 30K miles. I like the design but it took me a while to get used to the tint I chose, but that was my choice, not a product thing. 5 stars.

Mini Beast air horn. Not only great for folks that cut you off (after you give them a left turn signal), it’s really useful for wildlife avoidance IMO. 5 stars.

FWIW, she’s been trailered twice. IMO not too bad, but it’s never convenient. One time the compensator nut became loose and the rotor ended up damaging the stator of the alternator. Lost all electrical generation. So you know, my EFI will work for about 90 minutes off the battery alone (with everything else electrical turn off), but it wouldn’t get from Tonopah, NV to an indy shop in Pahrump, NV (about 167 miles). The second trailering event was due to a parted drive belt. My first drive belt was proactively replaced at about 80K miles (partially separated but ridable). The second belt (after market) parted after about 3 miles, manufacturer defect – second trailer event albeit a short haul. Went back to OEM belt and no problems since.

Just for completeness (and fun): I'm still running OEM tire brand, but K&M filters, Mobil 1 V-Twin, Red Line in primary and tranny. I wear chaps when it’s cold and use my heal shifter! Still carry a spark plug in my tool kit, but never needed it for this bike.

Be safe and have fun,

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Ultra 100K mile report-mileage.jpg  

Last edited by BurgundyUltra06; 06-30-2017 at 11:55 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by BurgundyUltra06:
alarmdoug (07-02-2017), danzio (07-01-2017), fprice02 (07-02-2017), H20loo (07-01-2017), head (06-30-2017), MikeySom (07-01-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,069 Likes on 6,987 Posts

Nice, thanks for sharing and congratulations!

I like that 58 model also. That was a good year.

The following users liked this post:
BurgundyUltra06 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

BUT - do you wear a doo-rag?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Great question -- I didn't anticipate that one...

I carry one with me (in case I get pulled over by the fashion police for wearing gloves in cold weather that have fingers on them), but if I put it on, I'd look like Minnie Pearl cuz it still probably has the price tag on it.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Great write up. Congrats on the milestone and thanks for the info. Enjoy many more on it!

Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM
cc_Penguin
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent write up and thanks for sharing

Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

awesome write up. This was an excellent view point on what has worked....

Old 07-01-2017, 07:04 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Good writeup and congrats on the 100K milestone.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Shrewd choice with your True-Track kit, I also have one on my 1990 Glide and the improved handling and stability is well worth it. As for your ears, we were told back in the '70s to protect our hearing with ear plugs. That wise advice doesn't seem to have made it through into the internet age! Greatest tuning aid known to man.....

Old 07-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! That's a big milestone. Glad to see you're enjoying the ride. It's still a thrill ever time I fire it up and roll out of the garage.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ultra 100K mile report