Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Lock Up. Front Suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 PM
sM319
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

grbrown - I did check the level before putting the new pads on, level was low enough to compress the pistons down. I also checked it again when I had them on.

predatornut - Yes I did clean the pistons with a soft tooth brush. Yes they were a little gummed up, not terrible.

longrideshields- Yes they do go **** sideways but nothing I couldn't fix with my fingers. Never used an anti-sieze paste tho. Used DOT 4.

NELS - Yes, I was very careful in following these directions.

Foxtrapper - Spacers look similar but the left side is the speed sensor spacer for the ABS.

Cygnusx51 - You might be on to something with the axle pinch bolts. I am going to back them off ever so slightly and see if this makes a different. I do know the right fork leg didn't come out easy like the left side, it just dropped out.
I also struggled a bit to get it back up and in.

I am about to go out and check a few things. Thank you for the replies everyone !

Old 07-28-2017, 09:15 PM
sM319
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE: Fixed.

For some odd peculiar reason, I had to tighten the axle pinch bolts first before the axle nut on the other side. It's a tight spin of 1 revolution. Which I will check again after riding it a few miles.

I also used Anti-seize paste on the pins this time.

Thanks for all the replies and each one was good to advise.

Last edited by sM319; 07-28-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Glad to hear it's fixed!

Old 07-20-2023, 07:31 PM
jquichimbo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you fix this brother?

Originally Posted by sM319
My first Harley and my first post. I have been reading in the forum for a few months now and it has been a valuable source for a new owner like myself.

I am currently at my wit's end, frustrated and feeling somewhat defeated. This is what I have going on.
Bought a 2011 Ultra Limited with a stage 2 and rode it about 500 miles with no mechanical issues except for when applying the front brake. Would get choppy/slight shuttering jerky feel just before stopping.

So thinking it could be a warped rotor or a brake cylinder piston not releasing or the pads were not sliding on the pin for releasing. I initially used brake cleaner to clean the calipers but still had the same issue.

I used a paint stick and noticed I had possibly had a slightly warped rotor on the right side as I spun the wheel. The left side seemed fine.
So I ordered a new rotor along with Hawk progressive brake pads.

I installed progressive 944 shocks in the rear and also bought the progressive monotube fork cartridge kit.

So the day came to change out my front suspension and would do my brakes at the same time.
Everything seemed to go fine with changing out the front suspension got it all back together and started on the brakes and rotors.
Put the new rotor on the wheel, cleaned the brakes up again then put in the new pads.
Got everything on and went to spin the wheel and it would not move at all. So I loosen the right side caliper up a few turns, (the throttle/front brake side) and the wheel spins fine. It's only when I go to tighten it up, the wheel locks up.

Is there a possibility the fork tube on that side is slightly turned out a bit too far or in? The axle sits exactly as it should as well as the wheel spacer on that side.
Wasn't much to put the fork tube back on, it slides up and in, a bit tight on that side a pinchbolt and the top cap nut, if I remember correctly. Not much to get wrong there, right?

Appreciate andy replies, and will try to respond in a timely manner in the evening hours. Thank You.
RjM
Can you fix this brother? I have the same problem 😪