Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Lock Up. Front Suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:12 PM
sM319
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Brake Lock Up. Front Suspension.

My first Harley and my first post. I have been reading in the forum for a few months now and it has been a valuable source for a new owner like myself.

I am currently at my wit's end, frustrated and feeling somewhat defeated. This is what I have going on.
Bought a 2011 Ultra Limited with a stage 2 and rode it about 500 miles with no mechanical issues except for when applying the front brake. Would get choppy/slight shuttering jerky feel just before stopping.

So thinking it could be a warped rotor or a brake cylinder piston not releasing or the pads were not sliding on the pin for releasing. I initially used brake cleaner to clean the calipers but still had the same issue.

I used a paint stick and noticed I had possibly had a slightly warped rotor on the right side as I spun the wheel. The left side seemed fine.
So I ordered a new rotor along with Hawk progressive brake pads.

I installed progressive 944 shocks in the rear and also bought the progressive monotube fork cartridge kit.

So the day came to change out my front suspension and would do my brakes at the same time.
Everything seemed to go fine with changing out the front suspension got it all back together and started on the brakes and rotors.
Put the new rotor on the wheel, cleaned the brakes up again then put in the new pads.
Got everything on and went to spin the wheel and it would not move at all. So I loosen the right side caliper up a few turns, (the throttle/front brake side) and the wheel spins fine. It's only when I go to tighten it up, the wheel locks up.

Is there a possibility the fork tube on that side is slightly turned out a bit too far or in? The axle sits exactly as it should as well as the wheel spacer on that side.
Wasn't much to put the fork tube back on, it slides up and in, a bit tight on that side a pinchbolt and the top cap nut, if I remember correctly. Not much to get wrong there, right?

Appreciate andy replies, and will try to respond in a timely manner in the evening hours. Thank You.
RjM

Last edited by sM319; 07-27-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you sure the spacer is on the proper side and oriented correctly?

Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 PM
sM319
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grumble
Are you sure the spacer is on the proper side and oriented correctly?
Friday evening I will take tire off and bolt up the calipers and slide tire on and make sure everything is in it's correct space.
Not sure if all axles are the same on the touring models but on this limited the spacer on that right side can only slide on so far.

The left side has the speed sensor (ABS) spacer.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

You installed new pads, so did you also bleed the front calipers? To get in the new pads you probably had to push the pistons back into the calipers. It is quite possible, if the brakes have been serviced correctly, that there is now too much fluid in the system and your pads are not backing off fully. Bleed your brakes and set the fluid level in the reservoir correctly. Take GREAT care when first removing the reservoir cap, as you may get a squirt of fluid rush out - be prepared!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 AM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Did you clean the pistons? They can get gummed up and stick.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:50 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, sticky break puck, and they can **** sideways petty easy if you preyed on them when doing the R & R. Also, make sure you use Anti-seize paste on the pins.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure if this pertains to your setup or not and use the manual for the correct procedure.
To tighten the front axle you leave the axle clamps on the bottom loose , tighten the axle to correct lb. pounds, pull the right side leg tight against the spacer and then tighten the axle support bolts.
Again: double check the manual to see if this is the correct procedure for your bike.

Last edited by NELS; 07-28-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: axle clamps
Old 07-28-2017, 12:27 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Per chance does your bike use the two different wheels spacers on each side? If so, do you have them reversed?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,711 Likes on 1,988 Posts

This...
Originally Posted by grbrown
You installed new pads, so did you also bleed the front calipers? To get in the new pads you probably had to push the pistons back into the calipers. It is quite possible, if the brakes have been serviced correctly, that there is now too much fluid in the system and your pads are not backing off fully. Bleed your brakes and set the fluid level in the reservoir correctly. Take GREAT care when first removing the reservoir cap, as you may get a squirt of fluid rush out - be prepared!
This...
Originally Posted by predatornut
Did you clean the pistons? They can get gummed up and stick.
And this...
Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
Yep, sticky break puck, and they can **** sideways petty easy if you preyed on them when doing the R & R. Also, make sure you use Anti-seize paste on the pins.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

(2016 RGS)
When I had my front end apart to do powdercoat and put it all back together, the front wheel spun pretty hard by hand. I cleaned the brakes and stuff thinking that was the issue but it didn't help.

I ended up slightly loosening the right fork axle pinch bolt (the service manual says to push the fork leg against the spacer and tighten) to relieve a little pressure and it cleared it right up. Wheel now spins nice and free with very little drag. Just something else to check on if that applies to your 2011.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Lock Up. Front Suspension.