Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question. Its not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Man I don't know where you guys are riding but if you are looking NOT to feel the road, sooner or later you will feel it and you wont be on your bike. I have ridden ironhead sportsters (60's) era, Shovelheads (70's) era and those bikes would jolt you all day but you knew what was under you. The 03 RKC I have now has air shocks and they work fine. Coupled with an air ride police seat, I feel enough of the road to be able to know what and were I am. Anything else is dangerous. I mean come on, are you guys racing these touring bikes or just going for a nice toot. I'm surprised HD doesn't offer the snowflake option. (a hot coco cup holder and warm seats) Come on guys these are Harleys or were. By the way, I'm no spring chicken, I'm going to be 60 years old in a couple weeks just saying.

randy

Last edited by cajun1957a; 09-20-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I'm not coming on here to knock Ohlins or anybody else, but I have to give an honest opinion. I have the Ohlins 2-2b's on my 12 street glide and it rides a lot better than stock. I also installed a set of H-D's premium ride 12" adjustable shocks on a buddies 12 street glide and I think it actually rides as good if not better than mine. Again not bashing anyone, just saying.
I ran the 13" H-D hand adjustables on my FLHTK with good success until about 27,000 miles, at which point their performance began to degrade. At 28,000 I replaced them with a set of Ohlins shocks. The Ohlins are much better than the 13" H-D hand adjustables were when new.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:33 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Man I don't know where you guys are riding but if you are looking NOT to feel the road, sooner or later you will feel it and you wont be on your bike.
Don't think there's a fussing to not feel the road, just a fussing over how poorly the stock suspension generally works. Harley's are bloody expensive bikes, they shouldn't ride like a cheap bicycle.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
.....the funds are gone . The first thing the bike needs is a quality suspension upgrade.
..and seat... and tires.... and brakes.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Man I don't know where you guys are riding but if you are looking NOT to feel the road, sooner or later you will feel it and you wont be on your bike. I have ridden ironhead sportsters (60's) era, Shovelheads (70's) era and those bikes would jolt you all day but you knew what was under you. The 03 RKC I have now has air shocks and they work fine. Coupled with an air ride police seat, I feel enough of the road to be able to know what and were I am. Anything else is dangerous. I mean come on, are you guys racing these touring bikes or just going for a nice toot. I'm surprised HD doesn't offer the snowflake option. (a hot coco cup holder and warm seats) Come on guys these are Harleys or were. By the way, I'm no spring chicken, I'm going to be 60 years old in a couple weeks just saying.

randy
Randy, you plainly haven't ridden a well set-up Harley! This discussion has nothing to do with not feeling the road, but everything to do with improving ride quality and comfort. I've been riding at least as long as you and can assure you that modern suspension is just great!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I'll agree with Mr Brown's post, and would guess that Randy ' s satisfaction comes from his seat, not his suspension!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

You could be right fellas, but I'm coming from iron and shovelheads so the 03 is as soft as I want. I have a buddy that has a 2010 ultra classic and its a nice ride but boring. soft and manageable, but doesn't feel like the Harleys I like. To each his own, but what I said is the day you no longer feel what's under you is the day you will meet it. And I can ride all day just fine on the 03 with all that garbage Harley suspension.

randy

Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by e11charlie
This is more of a personal knowledge inquiry. Something I have not been able to wrap my mind around. I consider myself smarter than average but can not figure out how you have a preload suspension adjustment on just one shock. Every bike I have had that had dual shocks on the back Ive had to adjust each individually. This 2016 has just one preload adjuster. No line that runs to the other side. How they hell does that work? The guys at the dealership can't explain it to me. I had a friend who totaled his electra glide because one shock went bad as he was digging into a corner. I don't know that many guys that have this set up. Most have older touring bikes with wither the air shocks or older setups. If some one with the know how could please explain this.
I agree with you, it does seam wired to adjust just one shock.

Let's say your bike has 6" of travel, with no load on it. Then you sit on it and it sags 2" - perfect. Then you add a passenger and it sags another 2" - bad. You now need to raise the bike back up to the point where you again have 2" of sag and 4" of travel. You can do this with just one shock. The whole point of setting sag or pre-load is to get the suspension at the correct height/sag so the shocks have the correct amount of travel left. If you can accomplish that with just one shock, the suspension will have the correct amount of travel and work as designed.

Now having said that, I would still rather be able to adjust all the shocks.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

You could be right fellas, but I'm coming from iron and shovelheads so the 03 is as soft as I want. I have a buddy that has a 2010 ultra classic and its a nice ride but boring. soft and manageable, but doesn't feel like the Harleys I like. To each his own, but what I said is the day you no longer feel what's under you is the day you will meet it. And I can ride all day just fine on the 03 with all that garbage Harley suspension.

randy
Compliant, predictable, adjustable does not mean soft. To the contrary. Better road feel is part of the reason to upgrade suspension. Along with better handling, increased lean angle (maybe you never scrape floorboards), reduced and controlled brake dive with front suspension upgrades. Suspension upgrades make for a better and safer ride. One the passenger notices and also appreciates.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Well said Kuma.

randy

Quick Reply: Suspension Question. Its not what you think