Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield with a curve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:19 AM
GusherEVE
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield with a curve?

Hi all this is my first post. Normally I just read and learn, you guys have helped me out alot. Thank you!

Anyway, I've seen many windshields that have a curve / flip at the top and made by defferent manufacturers each saying the other guys don't work. I guess they claim that the curve sends the air up and over your head and this let's you get a smaller windshield.

I plan on doing alot of cross country riding this coming year and was think about changing the windshield on my 2010 Street Glide.

So what's your opinion? Do they work, is there a better brand?

Thanks for your help.

The following users liked this post:
Statuesque (12-14-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 AM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

I started with a Fast-Aire recurve and was very pleased with how it directed air flow over my head as well as my passenger. I then changed to a Long Ride Shield's flat top elite (due to fantastic sale going on at the time) but an inch shorter. As with the Fast Aire, the LRS performs as advertised. The only difference for me is that I wear polarized sunglasses and depending on the angle of the sun to the LRS I get a rainbow effect whereas with the Fast Aire I do not. The rainbow effect is a non issue as my line of sight is over the top of the windshield. For me, I am completely satisfied with either brand.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

The first question is: are you happy with your current shield and if not, what do you not like? I ask as I have ridden behind a wide variety of windshields and fairings over the last 50 years and the experience is a very personal one. Seems to me it is a black art getting the darned things just right and that is something only we as the end user can judge! I think that explains why some members find Brand A better than Brand B and each of us is likely to have different experiences.

Some years ago I developed my own solution, inspired by that ugly BMW custom R1200CL, which works well for Mrs B and I:

Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Freedom Shield recurve. Best one I have used.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

It' called a 'recurve'...and with no intent to be snarky and with full intent to help, nobody on the World Wide Web can tell you which shield will work for you. All we will do is confuse the issue.

Personally I use a stock seven inch shield and a modular helmet...all is calm in my world. Probably won't work for you Who knows?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Klockworks 11.5 works great,I really have to sit up to see over it but I'm tall in the body, yes I recommend this product,if you have a good dealership they will put one on for you and let you ride to see that you get the correct height

Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Take a hard look at Clearview Shields as well. Craig there will help you out and get you exactly what you need. I've used LRS and Clearview and for me, Clearview is preferable. The Clearview shield is significanyly thicker and wider as well.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member

Received 682 Likes on 292 Posts

LRS 7 inch Recurve. Got a great deal and Iam very pleased with it.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:22 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by VB2KDH
I started with a Fast-Aire recurve and was very pleased with how it directed air flow over my head as well as my passenger. I then changed to a Long Ride Shield's flat top elite (due to fantastic sale going on at the time) but an inch shorter. As with the Fast Aire, the LRS performs as advertised. The only difference for me is that I wear polarized sunglasses and depending on the angle of the sun to the LRS I get a rainbow effect whereas with the Fast Aire I do not. The rainbow effect is a non issue as my line of sight is over the top of the windshield. For me, I am completely satisfied with either brand.
/\ /\ Yeah, that. I had the same results with my LRS recurve on my '14 Ultra. I went with a windscreen 1" shorter then stock and raised the wind-stream 2" over my head.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

They do work. I have the Clearview brand with a light tint and recurve. It definitely allows you to get a shorter windshield with more protection.

Quick Reply: Windshield with a curve?