Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chipped paint on tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default chipped paint on tank

Crap, I was messing with my clutch lever and dropped it against my tank. It took a small chip out of the tank about the size of a pencil eraser. So I purchased some touch up paint from the dealership to hopefully make it disappear, since the bike is only a couple of months old.
My question is, should I just try to sand that little area after I touch it up, with 2000grit wet sandpaper, or just clear coat over it.
Problem is I can see the little "bubble" where I applied the touch up paint. I thought maybe I could sand that smooth before I clear coat.
I don't want to make a pencil eraser size spot a huge messed up area with me screwing around with it.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Ouch! I have a tank and front fender cover I use religiously because of these things. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to use touch up paint. There is a trick to mitigate its noticeablity, like thin layers IIRC

The following users liked this post:
ddsdoorguy (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, my wife's first response to me when I told her was, "why didn't you have the tank covered"? I told her "Thanks Captain Obvious" That didn't go over well
I learned my lesson. ALWAYS COVER THE TANK, NO MATTER WHAT!
I'll look at youtube. Thanks

Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 237 Posts

You should try a colorite kit w primer to build up the crater then paint then clear

Old 02-26-2018, 04:31 AM
FPV
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

One thing is you have plenty of company as it's safe to assume many of us have had more than one "awww....chit" moment. It's human nature. It's just many won't admit it.
First of all, you know you already messed up and by reading your post it would appear you don't have the painting experience/tools needed to fix this at home. Don't let yourself make it worse. Internet opinions on painting isn't what you need here.
Cheyenne is a fairly larger town. Has to be a paint shop there. You need someone hands-on that has years of experience fixing this type of damage if you want your OEM paint job back. Yes, expect to pay for that advice and possible work. The results will be better and in the long run you'll be happier you did. Clearly this bothers you and if not brought back to original you'll be bummed every time you look at that spot and, more than likely, you will be looking at it a lot.
If you find the cost of repair exceeds your deductible call your insurance company. That's why you pay those premiums. Possible insurance company might just want to replace the tank. Have you priced a new painted tank lately? If not, might want to be seated when you do.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FPV
One thing is you have plenty of company as it's safe to assume many of us have had more than one "awww....chit" moment. It's human nature. It's just many won't admit it.
First of all, you know you already messed up and by reading your post it would appear you don't have the painting experience/tools needed to fix this at home. Don't let yourself make it worse. Internet opinions on painting isn't what you need here.
Cheyenne is a fairly larger town. Has to be a paint shop there. You need someone hands-on that has years of experience fixing this type of damage if you want your OEM paint job back. Yes, expect to pay for that advice and possible work. The results will be better and in the long run you'll be happier you did. Clearly this bothers you and if not brought back to original you'll be bummed every time you look at that spot and, more than likely, you will be looking at it a lot.
If you find the cost of repair exceeds your deductible call your insurance company. That's why you pay those premiums. Possible insurance company might just want to replace the tank. Have you priced a new painted tank lately? If not, might want to be seated when you do.
100% agree

Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I have literally done that twice. There won't be a third.

I just used the color to build up the hole. Let it dry, hit it with 2000, do another layer - repeat. Then clear a couple times, cut with 2000 again and then polish. Looked good.

The second time it happened I beat myself up real good and took the tank and paint to a mobile touch up paint guy that my local Nissan dealership uses. He fixed it for 100 bucks and it was perfect.

Last edited by lp; 02-26-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:23 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
took the tank and paint to a mobile touch up paint guy that my local Nissan dealership uses. He fixed it for 100 bucks and it was perfect.
Yep, we've all done it. This is the best advice right here. 100 bucks and you'll never know it was there. If you fix it, you'll see it every time.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

My GF's Deluxe front fender collided with a small rock and chipped the paint on our trip to Yellowstone last year. Took it to a BMW dealer when we got home and the paint and work was perfect.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 AM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

I once dropped a socket and chipped the paint on an otherwise pristine white fender. Although there wasn't another mark anywhere on the paint, all I could see was that damn chip. I'd get it professionally done or you'll fixate on that spot forever

Quick Reply: chipped paint on tank