Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dot 4 Platinum label brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:06 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Valentino Milwaukee

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Okay, let's nip this bit of misinformation in the bud before someone damages their paint because of you.....

First, the H-D Platinum brake fluid will most certainly damage your paint, just as other DOT 4 brake fluids will. Harley states this in the service bulletin I have attached below.

Second, Harley has made no claim that the Platinum fluid is non-hygroscopic (proper term instead of your "hydroscopic"). Their claim is that the Platinum fluid is simply less hygroscopic than the "regular" fluid, and offers better resistance to corrosion.
Maybe I need to redo my test on an old Sportster sidecover? Poured it on and left it for 10 minutes,not a mark! Could be one of the new Bulletproof type?
Changed on all my bikes.If it just stops the paint peel on the brake reserviour,its good enough for me!
Yes less Hydroscopic and less Corrosive is good enough also, but you dont have to use it!

Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
I find it funny when people jump on the "Its DOT 4, it's all the same." bandwagon.
Clearly they don't understand what DOT 4 is. DOT 4 is a MINIMUM standard that must be met. There is nothing in the DOT 4 requirements that state those minimums cannot be exceeded.
I don't know what the MoCo has done, if anything, to exceed those MINIMUM requirements. They could have made it less hydroscopic, improved its boiling point, added anticorrosive or detergent properties, IDK. But if they have they certainly have a right to name it anything they want to differentiate it from basic, MINIMUM DOT 4.
I certainly do understand and I am trying to point out to others "marketing" and the same old snake oil claims.

You post sounds like a motor oil post (no offense). The standard in this case for brake fluid is DOT 4, standard for motor oil being SN.

There will always be people who pay more for something that "exceeds" those standards. Problem is, since there is no standard for what they are exceeding, its nothing more then claims by the maker of the product who is selling you something more expensive at a MUCH higher profit for something they say is better. So then I need to ask you why?

Why believe the claims of a mysterious brake fluid that meets DOT4 but claim they exceed those standards? Whats the point of exceeding it even if it was true and you believe the marketing of the fluid maker?
Manual calls for you to change your brake fluid every 2 years so just change it, doesnt matter if its Walmart Supertech. Its DOT4 in 10 of millions of vehicles around the world and if you follow the maintenance schedule in your vehicle, no matter what vehicle it will be fine, no magical fluid is going to save you from abuse by not maintaining your vehicle.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 07-05-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,675 Likes on 5,200 Posts

Not snake oil and not something HD dreamed up . Toyota and others went to a Premium DOT 4 brake fluid for ABS system . So you need to find a new way to bash HD. No your 99 cent brake fluid is not the same stuff. ABS presents new issues.
The reformulated fluids address that. Also just draining yours and refilling it does not clear the crap out of the abs value , it needs to be cycled to clear the old fluid out. Good luck with shor cut and 99 cent fluid. you will be back with more complaints and blame HD.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:49 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

My wife's Mercedes uses what they call Dot 4 Plus. Mercedes specific brake fluid. But Mercedes has a lot of specific fluids including the transmission fluid. I try and stick what the Manufacturer suggests on her car, even though her car is long since out of warranty with 86k miles, I want it to last a long time.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,290 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Whats the point of exceeding it even if it was true...
Higher boiling temperature so less propensity to brake fade in hard use appeals to some.

Not saying I would buy Harley’s magic brake fluid. Lack of any quantifying documentation from them make me suspicious. But there are documented superior DOT 4 brake fluids out there.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Why Harley's fluid is something 8 bucks for 12 ozs. Not to bad.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:18 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,778 Likes on 3,532 Posts

I had some runs in my paint, rubbed some DOT 4 Platinum on them and they stopped.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
I had some runs in my paint, rubbed some DOT 4 Platinum on them and they stopped.
You my friend are a GENIUS

Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Not snake oil and not something HD dreamed up . Toyota and others went to a Premium DOT 4 brake fluid for ABS system . So you need to find a new way to bash HD. No your 99 cent brake fluid is not the same stuff. ABS presents new issues.
The reformulated fluids address that. Also just draining yours and refilling it does not clear the crap out of the abs value , it needs to be cycled to clear the old fluid out. Good luck with shor cut and 99 cent fluid. you will be back with more complaints and blame HD.
Nope, owner's manual states DOT 4. Nothing else.
Nope again the 2014 Harley touring shop manual has no instructions for activating abs on changing the brake fluid. It's clear as day.
Page number 1 - 40 in the shop manual.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 07-07-2018 at 09:39 AM.