Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Hahahahaha I doubt either one of those statements is true

I wonder how “reasonable” you’d be feeling if it was your bike?

If I owned one of these model years’ I would likely be having the Chinese ABS death-unit replaced no matter what, whether it was warrantee-covered or on my own dime, whether it was malfunctioning or not. Having a malfunction like this waiting to happen, maybe never, maybe next time I rode it, would make me want to never get on the bike again.

It’s like Russian Roulette! Tell me one time when you used your brakes just for fun, not cos you needed them?

FYI this is me being reasonable. If I was in the OP’s shoes I’d be looking at legal options.
I agree 100% with you, I would not want one of those model years. I would ALWAYS be in doubt.

Im just trying to look at the "other side". All this is, is a brake fluid change recall and I have no idea but it seems like the only reason for the failure is the brake fluid Jells because its not changed per the owners manual.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
I agree 100% with you, I would not want one of those model years. I would ALWAYS be in doubt.

Im just trying to look at the "other side". All this is, is a brake fluid change recall and I have no idea but it seems like the only reason for the failure is the brake fluid Jells because its not changed per the owners manual.
You keep throwing out the words "owner neglect". There are those that have entrusted their dealers to do all of their maintenance on their bikes. How is this owner neglect when the dealers themselves have neglected to perform this service? My uncle bought a bike from a gentleman just like this. Within 11 months of ownership the front brake lever seized due to the HCU failure. After the bike sat at the dealer for 2 months waiting on the HCU he finally traded and bought a new bike. The bike sat in the back of the shop at the dealer for another 2 months before it was repaired. The thing is, you can't claim owner neglect when the owners are paying for a service that they've entrusted to folks that are supposed to know what's needed and when. Then again, had the MOCO not released a faulty part, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:18 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
You keep throwing out the words "owner neglect". There are those that have entrusted their dealers to do all of their maintenance on their bikes. How is this owner neglect when the dealers themselves have neglected to perform this service? My uncle bought a bike from a gentleman just like this. Within 11 months of ownership the front brake lever seized due to the HCU failure. After the bike sat at the dealer for 2 months waiting on the HCU he finally traded and bought a new bike. The bike sat in the back of the shop at the dealer for another 2 months before it was repaired. The thing is, you can't claim owner neglect when the owners are paying for a service that they've entrusted to folks that are supposed to know what's needed and when. Then again, had the MOCO not released a faulty part, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we.
Good point, add to this how the problem "mysteriously went away" in 2012...

The following users liked this post:
Mikes145 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:08 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Without numbers, facts, figures and the same from other manufacturers of motorcycles we do not know if that is true.
Actually, I do know it to be true that I know of no other motorcycle abs that fails by blinding the master cylinder. That was my statement, and I'll stand behind it. I am not saying other abs systems do not fail, they do. I am saying that I know of no others that fail the way Harley abs fails.

Other abs systems that I know of that fail, Yamaha and Honda for example, fail by not actuating and letting the wheel lock in a skid. I have never heard of them rendering the brakes inoperable as Harley's system can. Bosch abs ecu's are prone to failure due to corrosion at the solder joints. Also rending the abs non-functional, but the brakes themselves remain usable.

As for Harley having redesigned the HCU to no longer block the master cylinder, I have never seen anything that demonstrates that to be true. It may well be, Harley is remarkably obtuse on their abs system. But I have never seen anything official or anecdotal that indicates this change to have taken place. In fact, with the addition of stability control, which Harley indirectly alleges to be incorporating, the use of a master cylinder blocking valve becomes more prevalent.

I'm not trying to pee in anyone's cornflakes or attack anyone. Just that I see no sign of Harley or NHTSA truly acknowledging the problem, the design flaw, or taking true corrective action.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I don't know why you would need any poll or study to show that what foxtrapper is saying is true...when ANY other ABS system fails, the brakes and vehicle can still be operated. This is a well known fact...no need to go back and rehash old news.

A corporation does not "learn it's lesson". Your kids might, but in business at the MoCo ' s level, it' about lowering your exposure and avoiding litigation. To think otherwise is seeing this matter thru rose colored glasses.

In my opinion...

Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

So, OP- what's your status? Did the dealer get their way?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I'd source the hydraulic portion of the ABS unit and replace it myself. Should be in the neighborhood of $350. The BCM won't need changing. Just the hydraulic unit.
If you notice, Harley just recently had all the dealers remove the availability of purchasing a new ABS hydraulic unit on your own. It has to be ordered and installed through the Dealers Service Dept. I was going to order the upgraded 2012 or 13 BOSCH unit and install myself. The day after pricing the unit I went back to place the order and its no longer listed as available. I spoke to the dealer and was told I cannot purchase an 09 through 11 ABS hydraulic unit and install myself. The dealer must do it all and there is about a months lead time minimum. In Vermont, if I take my bike in for the free flush and the dealer determines my ABS is bad, they will not release my bike to be ridden until I have the unit replaced. Needless to say there are a few ahead of me and also a few ticked off owners. See Diagram and price sheet ITEM 11....No longer available.

Attached Thumbnails ABS Brake Recall-abs.png  
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
If you notice, Harley just recently had all the dealers remove the availability of purchasing a new ABS hydraulic unit on your own. It has to be ordered and installed through the Dealers Service Dept.
My first reaction to this was wroth. As was my second and third.

But then I considered that the typical home wrench does not have the equipment to cycle the unit, so they can't bleed it of air.

The first (and perhaps second and third) time they actually engage the abs out on the road, all that air goes into the caliper and the brakes promptly disengage, and cannot be engaged again because of all the air in the lines.

So...hate to say it, but I actually do see their point.

If a person cannot fully bleed the HCU, they probably shouldn't be installing it.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Essbaum
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Good point, add to this how the problem "mysteriously went away" in 2012...
It did not mysteriously go away. My 2012 abs locked up and is awaiting a new unit.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Essbaum
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
If you notice, Harley just recently had all the dealers remove the availability of purchasing a new ABS hydraulic unit on your own. It has to be ordered and installed through the Dealers Service Dept. I was going to order the upgraded 2012 or 13 BOSCH unit and install myself. The day after pricing the unit I went back to place the order and its no longer listed as available. I spoke to the dealer and was told I cannot purchase an 09 through 11 ABS hydraulic unit and install myself. The dealer must do it all and there is about a months lead time minimum. In Vermont, if I take my bike in for the free flush and the dealer determines my ABS is bad, they will not release my bike to be ridden until I have the unit replaced. Needless to say there are a few ahead of me and also a few ticked off owners. See Diagram and price sheet ITEM 11....No longer available.
Sounds right. My 2012 has been in the shop waiting for a new unit for a week now and still doesn't have an ETA. He called it a restricted part that can only be ordered by the dealer when needed for repair.

Quick Reply: ABS Brake Recall