Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Gearheadin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down ABS Brake Recall

I recently took my 2011 CVO Road Glide to the dealer for rear brake issue, while attempting to brake my pedal would be real hard. I could push through it and it would be ok for a little while the get hard again. Bike only has 12000 miles on it. I came across the recent recall in regards to the flushing of the dot4 fluid. I flushed it and still no change. Decided to take it to dealer for recall and I think I just got the big screw. Deal says ABS unit is bad and it will cost me 1800.00$. WTF! I have owned Harleys for many years and spent a frigin fortune on this one. HD you suck, you know this is a documented screw up and you are screwing me over.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Call the national highway saftey administration. Harley knows their abs units can lockup and kill yet they think most owners are dumb enough to think a fluid change can make it all better. Harley ****ed over anyone with a 08-11 bike wih abs and the moco thinks people will just bend over and pay for the new abs block... anyone who likes the moco(the company not the bikes) should be shot for being braindead.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I'd source the hydraulic portion of the ABS unit and replace it myself. Should be in the neighborhood of $350. The BCM won't need changing. Just the hydraulic unit.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Call the national highway saftey administration. Harley knows their abs units can lockup and kill yet they think most owners are dumb enough to think a fluid change can make it all better. Harley ****ed over anyone with a 08-11 bike wih abs and the moco thinks people will just bend over and pay for the new abs block... anyone who likes the moco(the company not the bikes) should be shot for being braindead.
Most definitely do this, OP.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:12 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Buy the part and install it yourself. If you are then not confident you can fill it with brake fluid properly and bleed out the air you can truck/trailer it to the dealer and get the fluid flushed for around $120. I have seen the retail on that module and it is $800. I have no clue if this is for the actuator and the electronic controls or not. You may be able to find the actuator module for less. By doing it this way it will save you about $900.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I just had mine done last week at the dealer and it was free... Harley put out the service notice.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by runnhrd
I just had mine done last week at the dealer and it was free... Harley put out the service notice.
Not for replacing the module...which is what OP is talking about. Only for flushing the brake fluid.

Originally Posted by dceggert
Buy the part and install it yourself. If you are then not confident you can fill it with brake fluid properly and bleed out the air you can truck/trailer it to the dealer and get the fluid flushed for around $120. I have seen the retail on that module and it is $800. I have no clue if this is for the actuator and the electronic controls or not. You may be able to find the actuator module for less. By doing it this way it will save you about $900.
Believe it or not, the module for my 2011 FLHX is actually $331.49 at Ronnie's HD, which is typically ten percent below MSRP. It would appear that these modules have come down drastically in price. Like you, I was under the impression that the module alone was $800.00...might be worth a peek...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:55 AM
111111bw
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the front brake freeze up on my 2008 Ultra. Took it to the HD dealer pre-recall and they wanted $1500.00 for repair. Middle of winter put it back in the garage, I don't think a fluid replacement is going to fix this issue. My questions are? First, all my personal four wheeled vehicles have ABS on them, why can these units operate for years without any braking problem and never having to change the fluid? Secondly, What did Harley do to the 2013 systems to change this problem? Why can't this be retro fitted on the earlier models?

Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Believe it or not, the module for my 2011 FLHX is actually $331.49 at Ronnie's HD, which is typically ten percent below MSRP. It would appear that these modules have come down drastically in price. Like you, I was under the impression that the module alone was $800.00...might be worth a peek...
So if that part is $331.49 and they want to charge him $ 1800.00! What also are they doing? Going on a weekend vacation or something?

Jeez.... And people wonder why people dont like to go to stealerships.....

Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
So if that part is $331.49 and they want to charge him $ 1800.00! What also are they doing? Going on a weekend vacation or something?

Jeez.... And people wonder why people dont like to go to stealerships.....
They're more than likely changing the BCM as well. Uncalled for IMO.

Quick Reply: ABS Brake Recall