Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary and Transmission Bearings Replacement Already???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 PM
drewkawa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Primary and Transmission Bearings Replacement Already???

2010 Street Glide 34,000 Miles

Cliff Notes of my day thus far:
  1. My bike makes a rattling noise around the primary side.
  2. Dealer says I need to replace Primary and Transmission Bearings (Cost $1200)
  3. Mom and Pop Shop can do the same for about $600
  4. I was going to change out my Primary Chain Tensioner myself 1st to see if that fixes issue.
  5. Dealer says it's not tensioner, I'm wasting my time.
I'm just a bit frustrated. I really, really love my bike and have enjoyed my past 2-years of riding again. (10-months of which has been on the FLHX) My Glide is a daily driver, 60-miles a day, round trip to work. I'm the second owner and have put a LOT of money into her already and up to this point I have no regrets, but finding out that the bearings need replacement kinda angered me. I mean the bike only has 35k miles and I didn't expect something like this to happen in my 1st year of ownership.

So.... if anyone would mind chiming in on their experience with noisy primaries, bearings, or primary tensioners I'd really appreciate opinions and feedback.

Drew

(Sorry is this is a double post, 1st one didnt show up)

Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

May only be the inner primary bearing, the noise will change when the clutch is pulled in. But it's also very possible the transmission bearing(s) may be bad too, it was a problem on the first several years of the 6 speed transmission. When you remove the transmission drain plug if there are chunks of metal (not just very fine metal) on the magnet, bearings are bad.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 PM
drewkawa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on aftermarket bearing for replacement?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by drewkawa
Any suggestions on aftermarket bearing for replacement?
Pull the primary, check the IPB, check the Primary Chain Adjuster (for being either too loose or too tight) and check the Compensator.
Go from there

Old 04-06-2018, 04:28 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Baker....
And buy a manual and DIY......

Last edited by Tarkus60; 04-06-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:59 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,478 Likes on 3,320 Posts

IPB first... when all apart you can grasp the clutch basket and move or try to move back n forth. It should be pretty snug, if not that could be shot as well...
The job might be a lot less if you prep it by removing the inner primary cover, clutch basket and comp...inspect the compensator...Baker has a good bearing.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 04-06-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Check to see if the drive belt mysteriously over tightened on its own if not just do the ipb and adjuster my 2010 ultra did that at about 38000

Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Btw the dealer I took mine to quoted me 5k to fix it I did it all myself for about 400 and that was all the bearings I replace every bearing from the clutch through the trans. I was a lot of work but I got it.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What caused the bearings to fail? That's the $1500 question.

On my bike, the primary tensioner was worn about 1/2 way through at 27k with a chain that did not appear to be over tensioned. My issue was crank runout related which caused the chain to tighten up and then slack and I think I caught it before it took out the bearings in the tranny.

But, the auto tensioners are known to over tension the primary chain which puts an overhung load on all the bearings. If you have a severely worn tensioner when you go to change it and your chain is as tight as a piano string, you dealer is probably correct on needing to change out theses bearings.

if your chain is not tight super tight, and your tensioner is nor servilely worn, then you probably just need the inner primary bearing which is an easy change out. You got a bad one.

If if you have a loose chain with tensioner wear and bad bearings, it could be a crank runout issue. You can confirm it by checking the outer cam shoe wear, because both sides will run an eccentric pattern causing the chain to tighten up and loosen wearing out the wear shoes.

good luck.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I would want to understand what the mom and pop shop are quoting for $600. I did a transmission rebuild (no gears) and the bearing, gaskets, clips, seals were close to $400. If you love the bike and its your daily driver for work, etc. I would want to have piece of mind that I was going to have the transmission rebuilt right the first time.

Quick Reply: Primary and Transmission Bearings Replacement Already???