Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High crank case pressure and oil pressure on the 2013 Ultra Limited 103"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 AM
1LUCKY
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry High crank case pressure and oil pressure on the 2013 Ultra Limited 103"

Hello guys.
I'm a new here. Name is Andrey.
Here is my problem. Please excuse my English, my Russian much better
I decide to install a new clutch plates (SE) on my 2013 ultra with 35000 on it. The reason - it start slipping from time to time, (riding with the side car or trailer most of the time). So i did replace clutch pack and diaphragm spring (SE from HD).
At the same time I replace a breathers sets in the rocker box (it start seeping the oil true the air filter) also new set from a HD.
Adjust the clutch and cable, Red Line primary fluid. Take it for a short test drive - all good.
Next day take it for a ride with my wife and after 3-4 miles at the stop bike start shake and make a sound like some thing go wrong in the primary. Push the clutch, nothing change. At the same time I notice the oil pressure vent all way up (normally on the idle 10 psi at 70F warm engine, 30-32 psi cold) Some smoke from the pipe, smell of gas and oil (cant tell for sure) When accelerate the sound and jerking gone.
So, I turn back home, in couple miles pressure start go down but still not normal for my bike.
Well since then I did check the oil pump ( pressure relive valve my first guess) have to replace original push roads (SE adjustable). New oil 20W50 Red Line. Filter (HD) Check the breathers all good, inside and out.
Start the bike, still high oil pressure, about 45-50 on the idle. But worst part too mouth pressure in the case. When I open the oil cap for check the oil level when its hot the sound like I open a bottle of Pepsi.
This is where I'm. My last guess - recheck the oil filter (maybe I grub accidentally 77 instead 99) and readjust the valves (just to be sure)
Any help guys? I run out of ideas... I got 15000 trip coming in two month, need to be sure all good.

Regards, Andrey"LUCKY"

Old 05-04-2018, 06:22 PM
clayguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the breather tube on your air filter to make sure it isn't bent too sharply or crimped. That will lead to high oil pressure. I have no clue on other problems.

The following users liked this post:
1LUCKY (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

What other mods have been done to the bike?

Oil seeping out the air filter is often associated with freer flowing air filters.
If that is the case, you may try not filling the oil to the full mark, but half way between full and add.

Anyway, since you changed out the breathers, are you sure you put the umbrella valves in the right way?

And, as said, I would check to make sure your breather tubes behind the air cleaner are installed properly.

1LUCKY (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:24 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I had a similar problem, mine was an external btether off the A/C hose was kinked. I would guess it is a breather problem, and recheck what you did.

1LUCKY (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 AM
1LUCKY
Stage IV

Originally Posted by clayguy
Check the breather tube on your air filter to make sure it isn't bent too sharply or crimped. That will lead to high oil pressure. I have no clue on other problems.
Hello. I have a Arlen Ness air filter, no breathes fubes. Hollow bolts, clean as a whistle
I did all what I plan previously, nothing changes, check the thermostat by the oil filter OK, oil coller OK. All clear.
well I taking this apart, think goin replace a oil pump and plate.
Man I can do the valves adjustment in the dark now.... :-)

Thank you guys, any more ideas I will be happy to learn

Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

It's not a oil problem. It's a air cannot vent out of the engine crankcase problem. You said you replaced the breathers. I'd start there. Are the umbrella valves inserted correctly?

Last edited by lp; 05-05-2018 at 12:54 PM.
1LUCKY (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
It's not a oil problem. It's a air cannot vent out of the engine crankcase problem. You said you replaced the breathers. I'd start there. Are the umbrella valves inserted correctly?

To add. If the new stamped steel breather valves were used the valve can be installed backwards.. Look carefully at the instruction sheet that comes with the breather for proper assembly. If you pull them out of the bag and install them without looking at the orientation of the piece that holds the valve, it could easily be in upside down.

1LUCKY (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LUCKY

Hello. I have a Arlen Ness air filter, no breathes fubes. Hollow bolts, clean as a whistle
I did all what I plan previously, nothing changes, check the thermostat by the oil filter OK, oil coller OK. All clear.
well I taking this apart, think goin replace a oil pump and plate.
Man I can do the valves adjustment in the dark now.... :-)

Thank you guys, any more ideas I will be happy to learn
Find some tubing or a straw or something that fits snug in the breather bolt or hole. You should not be able to blow air in to them, and you should be able to suck air out only. If it's not that way, you have installed one or both breather valves backwards or incorrectly.

1LUCKY (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 02:53 PM
1LUCKY
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Tired
Find some tubing or a straw or something that fits snug in the breather bolt or hole. You should not be able to blow air in to them, and you should be able to suck air out only. If it's not that way, you have installed one or both breather valves backwards or incorrectly.
OK, will do. Still not understood why Ihave the hi oil pressure and bubles in the oil, well I did check umbrellas 2 times, its 2013 ultra 103", new desain I believe , will check again.

thank you guys, Im not really good at taping , bud I can read well. Will kep you posted

Rgards, Andrey"LUCKY"

Old 05-05-2018, 02:56 PM
1LUCKY
Stage IV

Originally Posted by lp
I did check them 2 times, will do again

Thank you,