Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to install cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 424 Likes on 326 Posts

^ or at least a good jack

Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

It's not hard. Do it.
How hard is it to install cams?-photo559.jpg

Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 639 Likes on 495 Posts

OP, I definitely believe that you have the chops to get that job done! I'll echo the need to have the factory service manual in hand before you start. If your engine retains the OE tappets and pushrods, I would upgrade those. Otherwise. ..get 'er done. ..

Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Add a lift to that tool list !!

BULLSHIT.

I certainly recommend a decent jack, but the job CAN be done standing on the jiffy. I didn't and wouldn't, but it could be done.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
BULLSHIT.
???? jiffy stand ... sure, anything is possible. But don't make it harder than necessary.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
???? jiffy stand ... sure, anything is possible. But don't make it harder than necessary.
Like I said.......Didn't do it on the jiffy and would not. But adding a table to the cost isn't necessary either.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 AM
press, lean, and roll
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a major difference between the S and S instructions and the Screaming Eagle instructions.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I'd do it over the winter. The heads are bolt on bolt off deal. Depending on miles, I would replace needle bearing on end of crank and bearings in cam plate.. I look at it as good maintence, I would probabky do lifters too since its apart.

Lots of people cut the pushrods. Myself I would just take it apart, then no need to ever think about pushrods adjustment or coming apart Though people been doing it along time.

Aligning oil pump is not hard, a little different.

I had a shop press my cams into the cam plate on my 01. I tried heating plate up and freezing bearings like others have done.. It did work for a crankshaft on my sled doing it that way. But I tried over and over again.

You are going to need to retune which is a deciscion on what device and all that.

I would do it over the winter, unless you got another bike to ride, so you can take your time. Sucked I was buying my house and had to go back to old house to finish and get it out of there.

Also if you are going to go this far, I would think about heads. Of course it all adds up $$$..

I did mine on craftsman jack. Table lifts are probably nice but another cost. Plus jack is good for changing tires.

I'll probably do my 07 someday. Myself I will choose a low compression cam. If you tour you can't always get good gas. A pump tolerant bike is nice. Especially in hot weather or altitude. I will go lower than 9.7 next time, that I did with flatops and thinner head gasket, and 37G

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-22-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I'd do it over the winter. The heads are bolt on bolt off deal. Depending on miles, I would replace needle bearing on end of crank and bearings in cam plate.. I look at it as good maintence, I would probabky do lifters too since its apart.

Lots of people cut the pushrods. Myself I would just take it apart, then no need to ever think about pushrods adjustment or coming apart Though people been doing it along time.

Aligning oil pump is not hard, a little different.

I had a shop press my cams into the cam plate on my 01. I tried heating plate up and freezing bearings like others have done.. It did work for a crankshaft on my sled doing it that way. But I tried over and over again.

You are going to need to retune which is a deciscion on what device and all that.

I would do it over the winter, unless you got another bike to ride, so you can take your time. Sucked I was buying my house and had to go back to old house to finish and get it out of there.

Also if you are going to go this far, I would think about heads. Of course it all adds up $$$..
His bike doesn't have bearings to replace on the cam plate. Replace the cam bearings in the case and the rest is an easy swap. The entire job should be done same day from start to finish, even if it's his first time.

Cut the pushrods and use adjustables and you don't have to worry about getting cams with the same base circle as stock and you'll know they are the proper length, plus you save time.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 435 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
We haven't had to press out cams in the touring bikes for many years.
What the heck is he talking about? No press needed, the cams come right out.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install cams?