Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to install cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM
SCGamecock
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How hard is it to install cams?

Is it a DIY mod? The bke isn't under warranty so I don't have restrictions as to who does the work. I have built V8 motors which included installing cams. How difficult is it to install cams on my 2015 Ultra Limited? Do they need to be degreed like performance car engine builds?
They can be changed with the engine installed?
Just need to remove the tank and the intake manifold?
What all parts are needed? Push rods, rockers, etc.???

Where to buy cams and what are recommended for good all around performance that wont hurt drivability and MPG

Old 05-21-2018, 08:40 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGamecock
Is it a DIY mod? The bke isn't under warranty so I don't have restrictions as to who does the work. I have built V8 motors which included installing cams. How difficult is it to install cams on my 2015 Ultra Limited? Do they need to be degreed like performance car engine builds?
They can be changed with the engine installed?
Just need to remove the tank and the intake manifold?
What all parts are needed? Push rods, rockers, etc.???

Where to buy cams and what are recommended for good all around performance that wont hurt drivability and MPG
There is a 103 cam thread in the Rushmore forum that will give you a lot of opinions about the off the shelf options available. As far as being a DIY mod, it's all nut, bolts and torque specs at the end of the day. No need to pull the motor, some don't even pull the tank, they just cut the stock pushrods and use adjustables for the install. Some HD specific tools may be required if you choose to upgrade your bearings while you're in there. Plenty of information on the forum and youtube if you search around. Not a job that a gear head should fear if you've done performance car builds.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-21-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

From your post, I'd suggest you not try it yourself. While not a technically challenging job, it does require some special tools and skills.

You will also need a remapping of the computer in order to take advantage of s cam change.

Very generally, I'd suggest a mild camshaft profile. Yes, more radical camshaft profiles produce big and nifty looking numbers. But the engine becomes much more difficult to live with on the street, where you actually tend to want to gently chuff through town and such.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

If you've done V-8's you can do the Harley. If you go to the Fuelmoto website there is a video on replacing cams that is excellent. The bigger challenge than replacing the cams is deciding which cams to put in. There are many choices and just as many opinions on which one is the best. Do your research and have fun working on the bike.

The following users liked this post:
arcrft.tech (05-02-2021)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:43 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Wade: It's super easy for a guy who is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and "go for it". I would say that you should do 3 things:
1. Buy an service manual FROM HD if you don't already have one.
2. Decide where you want your cams to be making power
3. Talk to a couple of the reputable guys that sell kits and are also supporters of this website. You can't go wrong with Fuel Moto USA, or with Hillside. They'll sell you complete kits that will be fully proven for whatever you desire when all is said and done.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 656 Posts

Its not a bad job, but the cams wont just fall out of the support plate. There are tricks to that but the most common is to press the cams in amd out of it.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

You got some good advice here.....

I will only add that along with FuelMoto, S&S has a couple cam changing videos that are excellent too. If you've changed cams in a car, watch the video(s), get a manual and a couple of the special tools, you'll have no problem doing it yourself.....!!!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

If you can turn a wrench on a car, their are enough videos on Utube, and vendors sights go help you get the job done. The real challenge is getting it tuned to take advantage of the new cams. Nothing worse than spending hours and money on your bike, then it runs worse because the stock map cannot adjust enough to the new cams. That's where places like Fuelmoto shine. They can provide instant support should a problem arise. Of course that never happens....lol. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,654 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Wade: It's super easy for a guy who is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and "go for it". I would say that you should do 3 things:
1. Buy an service manual FROM HD if you don't already have one.
2. Decide where you want your cams to be making power
3. Talk to a couple of the reputable guys that sell kits and are also supporters of this website. You can't go wrong with Fuel Moto USA, or with Hillside. They'll sell you complete kits that will be fully proven for whatever you desire when all is said and done.

Good luck!
To that list I would add:

4. Replace the crap Mexican lifters with some decent ones such as S&S Premiums.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-24-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Specialty tools --- Cam bearing puller and installing tools, torque wrench
The first is not absolute but I would change the bearing if I had it apart.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install cams?