Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bikes history ... help if you can

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM
BUSBY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the responses. Since posting, I have done some more research. Appears that the bike was in an accident of some sort, title report shows that it was acquired by CoPart, Inc and sold as a damaged bike from what I do not know. Title matches the frame, trying to figure out if engine matches now. Troubling part is that there are more miles on the bike than I knew about. Report states that it had 22, 500 miles on it leaving CoPart and then was registered here in CA from Colorado with 9,923 miles on it. I purchased it with 16.8k miles on it so I'm assuming that it had approx. 29,377 miles on it when I purchased it … obviously the speedometer was switched with a lower mile unit to increase value.

Regardless of all that, it's a good bike and I enjoy it. I was the one who removed the bag guards & crash bar, swapped out the running lights/blinkers to make it look sleeker & a little more like a SG. I just like to know what I have without having to question it. Also, don't want to misrepresent it if & when I sell it. Just kind of bummed that I feel like I was duped by the guy who was selling it.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

There are many people who only buy used bikes, and there are many people who only buy new. I'm in the latter category, largely because I dont want to buy other people's problems, and I know what I've traded in.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the bike for what it is, and its great that you will be up front about what you know if/when you sell it. Its a shame that you likely bought something that was misrepresented by the seller.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 PM
BUSBY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithhu
There are many people who only buy used bikes, and there are many people who only buy new. I'm in the latter category, largely because I dont want to buy other people's problems, and I know what I've traded in.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the bike for what it is, and its great that you will be up front about what you know if/when you sell it. Its a shame that you likely bought something that was misrepresented by the seller.
I usually buy new everything. But in this case, I am coming over from the dirt bike world … have only owned a couple other Harley's a few years back and this was my first bagger, so I figured I'd buy used to see if it was really what I wanted overall. It is, and I will probably sell it in a year or two & get myself a new Road Glide.

And yes, up front is the only way to roll in my world. Wish I would have known, but it's all good. I'll look at a few maintenance items that I haven't yet because I thought mileage was a lot lower … now I question things.

Problem I'm running into is that the dealership as well as Harley Davidson has no record of what came on the bike as far as options, wish I could get a build sheet from Harley. But that's just me being me … my OCD kicking in

Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,537 Likes on 6,895 Posts

For your owner's manual and other document go to this site and put your VIN in, it is a Harley site and you can view your owner's manual.
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have a 2004 FLHTC-I "Classic" Peace Officer edition bike. I bought it used. It's the same color as the Peace Officer bike above. Blue. I don't know what colors they we're available in that year. I know that they are offered in two different colors "usually". For example, this year they are available in either black or in blue. Check the HD website. It appears they are only available as a Limited now. I agree with others that yours appears to be a Classic. Not an Ultra Classic. Is it possible the guy you bought it from told you what he was told? So maybe he's not the one making stuff up? Mine did not come with cruise control but I had it added. It wasn't cheap. I think the parts were something like $800. I need it because of arthritis etc. so I had to get it. I didn't think the Classics came with cruise control? What I've done before is call the HD dealer that is the one that the bike was serviced at and ask them to print out a history of the bike for you. I've never had anyone not do that for me. As far as I know, the dealers aren't connected together. At least they weren't the last time I was researching a used bike.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

the guy that sold it to you may not have known either. some people like u and I research all of it ocd much? others just buy it ride it and sell it then repeat. so don't let it eat at you. enjoy it. check the cam tensioners and ride.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Here's a site that might help you figure out what originally came on the 2004 FLHTCUI here.

The Shriner/Police versions came with special colors and badges as already mentioned. As already said, just enjoy it, and at least you'll know what you'll have when you get that new one.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 AM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
I also have a 2004 FLHTC-I "Classic" Peace Officer edition bike. I bought it used. It's the same color as the Peace Officer bike above. Blue. I don't know what colors they we're available in that year. I know that they are offered in two different colors "usually". For example, this year they are available in either black or in blue. Check the HD website. It appears they are only available as a Limited now. I agree with others that yours appears to be a Classic. Not an Ultra Classic. Is it possible the guy you bought it from told you what he was told? So maybe he's not the one making stuff up? Mine did not come with cruise control but I had it added. It wasn't cheap. I think the parts were something like $800. I need it because of arthritis etc. so I had to get it. I didn't think the Classics came with cruise control? What I've done before is call the HD dealer that is the one that the bike was serviced at and ask them to print out a history of the bike for you. I've never had anyone not do that for me. As far as I know, the dealers aren't connected together. At least they weren't the last time I was researching a used bike.
Can't speak for the 04 model year but my 08 Classic has Cruise Control. Cruise on/off rocker switch in dash...handlebar controls to set, increase, and decrease. It appears Pawnbrokers 04 didn't have CC. So that might explain the CC confusion you had talking to the dealer.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Nathanhd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little bit off-topic,

Here in the netherlands we have lots of salvaged harleys from usa.
They repair them, mess with the milage and sell them for premium prices, most people dont even know they bought a salvage bike.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

As others have mentioned you don't have a police bike. What you do have is a Peace Officer Special Edition. Back then you had to be a serving or retired peace officer in order to purchase the bike. Dealers now order them in and if a LEO doesn't purchase it within I believe it's 60 days they can sell to anyone. Same deal for Firefighter and Patriot Specials for Firefighters and Military personnel. All are built at the same time and are titled as Shriner bikes. The newer bikes have chrome badging for the tanks. Your bike came with tank decals that are cleared over. You may still be able to get them but you would have to redo your tank. I can't remember if you could get an 04 in black but my 07 is black. I know your bike was originally blue. Just trying to help you out if you wanted to change it back to a POSE. One other tell about POSE bikes is the pinstripe is usually blue. IMHO what you have is a bike that was crashed with low mileage albeit higher than what you believed. I say ride it and enjoy it. It looks to be in nice shape. I have attached a pic of an 04 POSE tank so you can see the color and badging.

Last edited by RevBlk; 09-16-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: My bikes history ... help if you can