Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang One-Piece Heated Super Touring Seat Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Mustang One-Piece Heated Super Touring Seat Review

I thought I'd share my experience and opinion of this seat (PN# 79640). I decided to try this one because I really felt I would be more comfortable if I could just set further back an inch or two. This one advertised it would sit you back 1.75" and it does. It may not sound like a lot, but it made a huge difference for me. However, I think it may have raised me an inch compared to stock. I didn't particularly care for that, but I'm used to it now and good with it.
I received this seat one day during the week and took a quick ride. First impression, I like this seat! A week later, I took off on a 600 mile trip. In the rain. By the end of that 600 miles, my butt was sore. I think it rained 400 of those 600 miles and at some point it felt like the foam was soaked and I was sitting on the seat pan, but I think I was just breaking it in. The seat was totally dry when I reached my destination. On the way back, it was fine. I usually stopped between 150-160 miles and by the time I made it back, I felt like I could go as far as a tank of gas would take me. The heat worked great. The high setting gets pretty toasty while the low setting lets you know it's on. I think this seats goes perfectly with my 17 FLHTK. I had previously tried a used heated dual tour Corbin but just didn't like it. Also, I swapped over a heated HD Sunray seat I had on my FLHX and it was a very cramped and uncomfortable seating position.
On a side note, I didn't order a driver's backrest with the seat because I didn't think I would need one but the closer I got to going on that trip, I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I bought a used one off eBay for $80. It wasn't specifically advertised and I didn't catch it, but turns out it was a back rest made for the back rest kit and not the integrated mount in the seat. Everything I read said it would not work. But, with a little propane, a vise, and a big wrench, I straightened out the angle of the bar and it worked.
I conclude that this is a great seat for the money (if you don't pay retail... don't pay retail, shop around)..

The following 2 users liked this post by fordhd2005:
ABQ-Jammer (11-15-2018), Pix (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 AM
BAGRRR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review! I'm starting to look at seats now.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I have the same seat on my Limited and love it as well. Heat is nice, Switches are a little hard to use with thick gloves on but I just leave it on low all the time and turn it on and off with the accessory switch on the dash. Plenty of heat for me on low. Only other negative is that if your bike sits out in the rain (for me when at work), it will soak up the water and hold it for several days. If you ride shortly after, it will **** on the back of your leg. They make a rain cover if you have to leave you bike in the rain regularly. I kind a like the wet leg in the summer. Helps keep me cooler.

I know each butt is different but I'm on my third Mustang seat and couldn't imagine using another brand. It's that comfortable to me and out weighs the very minor negatives. I also like that it's a little wider even though I have inseam issues. Better support when riding which is way more important to me than flat footing. It's a touring saddle, not a bar hopper show saddle.

I can hear you saying, "Now you tell me." but if you had contacted Mustang, they would have sent you a longer adjustment screw for the backrest that would have made the old one work in the new seat. They sent me one no charge

Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Buying any seat is a gamble. Buying ANY USED seat is a HUGE GAMBLE. Last one cost me big time and will never do it again.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Buying any seat is a gamble. Buying ANY USED seat is a HUGE GAMBLE. Last one cost me big time and will never do it again.
I bought a Mustang solo seat from Revzilla and they will let you return them and they pay shipping as long as you don't hard mount it up or shows signs of wear.