Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What modified electrical/antenna quick connectors to remove Tour Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default What modified electrical/antenna quick connectors to remove Tour Pack?

2006 Harley Ultra FLHTCUI
I already have a detachable tour pack, done aftermarket I suppose (since I bought the cycle second-hand). I detached the tour pack once years ago and if I recall correctly, I had to remove the tour pack liner and pull lots of wiring through the front of the tour pack and then bunch it beneath the seat. Seems a senseless pain to me to have to do that.

Can anyone here tell me how to modify the wiring connections so that all I have to do is remove the seat and just unplug connectors either beneath the seat or to the rear of the seat? I do understand the required connectors are "specialized," requiring proper tools. Knowing this, if I get some good suggestions here, what kind of an electrician or wiring person should I seek out to do the job? (I do not expect a residential electrician would know how to do this, although maybe.) NOTE: I would not be attempting this myself even if I had access to the tools and connectors.

I probably should have added this: I do not care about the radio, so I do not require some additional antenna gizmo. Also, perhaps I recall incorrectly about pulling wires though the tour pack. I do recall having to remove the trunk liner. I also recall disconnecting both speaker plugs that are actually OEM outside the speaker housings, not within them. Lastly, I recall what seemed like an unnecessarily large bunch of wiring to safely secure beneath the seat. Seems like all that extra wiring should or could just go along with the detached tour pack.

Thank you.

Last edited by albngore; 01-13-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 PM
Pops98
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure if this would be what your looking for

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...etachable.html

Old 01-14-2019, 06:33 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Exactly so. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchased a 2009 Ultra last year and installed the detachable tour-pac kit. My tour-pac includes an FM antenna, CB antenna, lights and speaker pods.

Here's what I did...
FM Antenna: The detach kit included a relocation for the FM antenna (cable extension and bracket)... but it would have to be moved back to the tour-pac when attached. So, I used the extension to connect in the tour-pack (under the liner)... this brought the connection to under the seat. I also purchased the "in the fairing" antenna so I would have reception with the tour-pac antenna removed ($69 from HD)... I used a Y-connector purchased on Amazon (about $4) to make it all work seamlessly.

CB Antenna: Oddly, the CB antenna uses the same connector as an automobile FM antenna. I purchased a 3' extension off Amazon for under $10. This brought the connection under the seat.

Light Harness: The HD tour-pac detach kit includes a harness to extend this connection to bring it under the seat.

Speaker Harnesses (Right & Left): These were the tricky connections... the connections are located in the speaker pods... shame on HD for that! I cut the harness in the speaker pods and soldered extensions (about 10") to bring the connectors under the seat. I used heatshrink on the connections and secured it all together with electrical tape (I wish I had used black fabric harness loom, but the tape works). I plan to revisit this when I upgrade my sound system and install 6.5" speakers (one of those "one day" projects). I'll use heavier gauge speaker wire and use the appropriate connector pins to bring the wires to the connector... I'll also use loom to make it all look good.

I attach/detatch the tour-pac frequently (weekly)... my passenger likes it on, but riding solo I pull it off and install the passenger backrest. With all the connections under the seat... it's an easy 5 minutes (or less) swap. The hardest part is lifting the tour-pac off or placing it on the docking pegs without scratching the paint... but I've gotten pretty good at it.

Ride Safely!
John.

Last edited by MegaJohn; 01-14-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Did this on my '11 UC a few years back and I routed the antenna horizontally along and under the seal so didn't have to futz with the antenna wire each time (worked like a charm and no noticeable loss of reception). There's some posts on that on here somewhere. I don't know if you have molex or deutsch connectors to deal with but I never could get a good connection with the cheapo crimping tools so I sprung for the good tools and never had an issue. You can get the connectors multiple places online for pretty cheap. I would think that you could almost pay for the crimping tool with what you'd pay someone to do it for you.
Just my opinion and YMMV.

Hoggly.