Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena 10s vs 20s and the HD WHIMS ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
So, keeping that thought, if you have a WHIM,
and your phone connected to your bike, the
WHIM would connect to the first Universal Bluetooth connection on the headset, leaving the
second open to allow for pairing a non-Sena headset and not disturb anything.
That’s my guess anyway.

Do the Cardo units work similar?.
I'd have to presume they're similar. Cardo's units have 2 "phone" slots. I have the 1st connected to my iPhone, and the 2nd to the WHiM. I was never interested in BT pairing to other headsets because of the way BT Daisey-Chains, so my headsets have Mesh. As for an additional input I'll be using the Boom!'s AUX input to add a radar detector into the mix.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:16 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 180 Posts

Any updates on any of this? I just purchased a 2019 CVO Street Glide with the GTS system. My CVO came with a 20S EVO but I, and all of my riding buddies, use PackTalk Bold headsets. I would like to still be able to use Mesh mode and Apple Car Play. The cool thing about the PackTalk Bold is that it has built in voice commands including 'Hey Siri' which means I really don't care if it is paried to the WHIM. However, I believe it needs to be paired to the WHIM for Apple CarPlay to work. I am going to do some testing tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone has done further testing and might be able to save me some time and effort.

I really wish Harley would make this much simpler. It is just so stupid on their part to try tor cram the WHIM and their Bluetooth devices down our throats. Don't we pay enough for the bikes, service, and upgraded parts? They need to start thinking about their customers - us, and less about their balance sheets. If they make their customers happy their balance sheets will be happy!

Thanks in advance for any updates.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:32 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 276 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
Any updates on any of this? I just purchased a 2019 CVO Street Glide with the GTS system. My CVO came with a 20S EVO but I, and all of my riding buddies, use PackTalk Bold headsets. I would like to still be able to use Mesh mode and Apple Car Play. The cool thing about the PackTalk Bold is that it has built in voice commands including 'Hey Siri' which means I really don't care if it is paried to the WHIM. However, I believe it needs to be paired to the WHIM for Apple CarPlay to work. I am going to do some testing tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone has done further testing and might be able to save me some time and effort.

I really wish Harley would make this much simpler. It is just so stupid on their part to try tor cram the WHIM and their Bluetooth devices down our throats. Don't we pay enough for the bikes, service, and upgraded parts? They need to start thinking about their customers - us, and less about their balance sheets. If they make their customers happy their balance sheets will be happy!

Thanks in advance for any updates.
The cool thing about connecting to the WHIM is that you can use your hand controls to control your headset, music etc.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:17 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,227 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Try your Sena 10 & 20 first to see how they sound. Yes, they'll be monaural, but like I've said, who cares at 60mph? As for the Sena 30K - until Sena makes a software upgrade, Sena's "Mesh Technology" is disabled when paired to a WHiM. H-D's headsets are still stuck with the older Bluetooth (what's new?).
I had tried to find an answer to my question "how badly has Harley crippled the sound on non HD headsets" before I did this. Is it simply mono, or have they crippled it further?
The answer is a resounding "they absolutely crippled non-HD branded headsets, way beyond simply disabling stereo!"

I did consider the relatively new Boom!™ Audio N02 Full-Face Helmet (with ingratiated, Harley Branded Sena 30) but I didn't like it.

My hearing sucks to start with, so I wanted the quietest helmet I could find, so I got a Schuberth with an integrated SC1 (Sena 10). Like FurryOne pointed out "who cares [about stereo] at 60mph?"

So I finally I got the WHIM installed today (after weeks of using the helmet directly connected to my phone).
Apparently Harley's crippling of non, HD branded headsets goes way beyond simply disabling stereo: either the sound is severely crippled, with distortion and noise, or my shop screwed up the install. Just like music, even the navigation system sounds distorted, with static and other noise. It is beyond awful!

Using my laptop, I listen to music frequently through a mono Bluetooth speaker, and I am very happy with the sound of that. I am also happy with the sound of my helmet connected directly to my phone.

Originally Posted by Sparky357
Their is no HD branded 30K that I know of.
There is now: the relatively new Boom!™ Audio N02 Full-Face Helmet.
It is an HD braneded HJC helmet (mediocre quality) with in integrated (no dongle) Sena 30.
The biggest fail, IMHO, is that the battery is not replaceable, A. After 8 hours, you are done. B. After a few years, the battery will only last 2 or 3 hours and there is no way to fix it. That is too short for a $500 helmet.

One of the deciding factors for me was, with the Schuberth, if the battery runs out, I can replace it.

Last edited by hairymoth; 05-21-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:07 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,227 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
I had tried to find an answer to my question "how badly has Harley crippled the sound on non HD headsets" before I did this. Is it simply mono, or have they crippled it further?
The answer is a resounding "they absolutely crippled non-HD branded headsets, way beyond simply disabling stereo!"
Second impression no as bad as the first. With my old HD wired headset, I kept the prompt volume, pretty much all the way up (I also wear earplugs to cut down on wind noise). Using this setup I can go to 3/4 volume, still hear it and I lost quite a bit of the distortion. But still, definitely degraded, but not awful.

Coming home from the shop, I was playing music from my phone, via Bluetooth onto the head unit and then Bluetooth from the WHIM to the headset, and it sounded pretty bad. Second ride, I used a USB thumbdrive and it was better, still not great but acceptable.

I still haven't tried using the phone.