Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catistrophic Electrical Failure 17 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 AM
John@nepa
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Catistrophic Electrical Failure 17 Limited

HELP!!!!!!!
I bought a brand new 2017 Harley Ultra Limited and loaded it up with all kinds of upgrades, white walls, 2,000 speaker upgrade etc... I am experiencing total electrical failure while operating. This has now happened two or three times, the latest of which occurred on the “On-Ramp to the Schuylkill Expressway from the Blue Route in Delaware County whereby while driving on the ramp, the motorcycle’s dash lights began blinking on an off and then the large radio display did the same and then went dark, music stopped and then engine shut off. Scared the living hell out of me. While still rolling, I turned off the ignition switch on the handlebar and then turned it back to the on position and then hit the start button to re-start and continued onto the Expressway. It happened again on the Expressway before the Mall Boulevard Exit and not again the rest of the ride home to Reading, Pa.
This motorcycle has now been back to the dealer twice and in each instance, although seeing that it occurred via the codes, they cannot seem to replicate it and therefore claim to be done servicing it. I spent over THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on this machine, one of Harley’s TOP OF THE LINE BIKES and I am now merely kicked to the curb and expected to ride this dangerous machine? BTW, It’s STILL UNDER WARRANTY! The Dealer’s service department offered me an 800 number for Harley Customer Service…….WHAT? The manager or the Owner of the Dealership should have called me themselves and offered to take this issue to the next level at the factory, right here in York where it’s built but no, after giving the 30,000 , I am left to my own efforts. Certainly NOT what I ever expected from this great American company…..I am now left with a NEW BIKE that has catastrophic electrical failures while in operation which of course NO ONE WOULD RIDE, I CANNOT SELL WITHOUT DISCLOSURE OF THIS CATISTROPHIC ELCTRICAL FAILLURE. God forbid someone bought it, and while riding it, it shut off and they were rear ended and hurt.CURRENTLY, THIS BIKE IS NOT CAPAPBLE OF FUFILLING IT’S INTENDED PURPOSE WHILE ONLY 1.5 YEARS OLD! OMG! Question ow is, will Harley be the same as their dealer? Will I have to engage 800 lemon law (toll free), Kimmel & Silverman and have this Lemon’d? I hope not. I really miss riding!

Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Okay, take a deep breath. Now, try to calmly explain when this started happening. What, if any changes, were made to the bike just prior to this electrical failure. What codes were being displayed? Provide as much detailed information as you can in order for the guys to try and help you.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 02-16-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:35 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I believe for you to have a lemon law case the problem has to occur 3 times. So you're almost there if it was only twice. How are you not sure if it was 2 or 3 times?
Just keep a log of everything that has happened with as much detail as you can.
Exactly what upgrades were done to the bike? Was it all done by the dealer?
You should contact MOCO as soon as you can. Who knows how much help they will be but you need to go on record with them.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Welcome to the Forum John. Call the number your dealer gave you and talk to the Tech. Like GTG asked what codes did it throw? What other mods, Bars ect....

Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM
John@nepa
6th Gear

Hi: If I responded to you before using the wrong name, PLEASE accept my apology. I'm over 55 and technologically challenged. To answer your questions, this began this winter. The bike was purchased in July of 2017. All upgrades were purchased through the Dealer and installed by the Dealer. The last addition (electrical) was the Daymaker Fog lights. Before that, everything else was installed BEFORE taking delivery i.e. neon, 2,000 upgraded speakers, heated hand grips, lighter...The only other item I purchased and used was the heated jacket warmer. I've had some issues of that just shutting off and that too has been communicated to the service department. I even included the jacked in the right side saddle bag so they could test that as well.
The only thing that the dealer had identified during the first service was as they stated, a voltage regulator. Since then it happened twice but with the engine shutting down this time.
I did NOT think to ask Travis in the Service Department for the codes but I WILL call him back to see it he can give them to me. They still have the bike as I also had a new wide white wall front tire installed.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:42 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

So, they currently have the bike? Call the nu:bee they gave you, to get the problem escalated. If it’s thrown codes, then the dealer needs to diagnose the issue. That’s what the codes are for.

oh yeah, learn to use paragraphs. Y9ur essay is too hard to read with my 65 year old eyes.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:06 PM
spider01
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The problem sounds similar to what I had on my FLHTCU. Dealer could never get the bike to act up and the codes only gave the usual sensor and other tidbits that didn't help. My problem turned out to be the stator and regulator. With all the extra electrical draw, heated grips, seat and lighting the charging system was over loaded. The service manual indicates upgrading the system to a higher output. The dealer never even asked if I wanted to pay the extra for the upgrade. It took a few miles for the problem to show up but it was sporadic at first then became almost constant. When I pulled the primary cover, compensator and rotor the problem was obvious. Burned winding's on the stator. Higher apm output OEM stator was only 75.00 . Replaced it and problem solved. 65K later still same battery and runs sweet. As long as the dealer still has it and it's under warranty, have them inspect the stator and while you're at it have them replace the compensator sprocket with the Screaming Eagle sprocket. You'll wonder where the noise went when the engine is running. "clicking and clatter".

The following 3 users liked this post by spider01:
GalvTexGuy (02-16-2019), INJEKTER (04-29-2019), John@nepa (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Broccoli2
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

As said above, Take a deep breath
I bet it's something simple. First thing to check would be the negative battery cable at the battery and the other end. They probably disconnected that to install the fog lights and it didn't get tightened properly..

Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 PM
John@nepa
6th Gear

WOW! Thanks! I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership whom contacted the factory re problem. Engineering called and directed them to the exact same areas that you mention. Since the voltage regulator had been replaced the last time and since the heated jacket liner was worn during each voltage regulator, I again asked them to test the jacket liner. They think that even the new voltage regulator is bad and that's why I again brought it up. As for the last item, the service manager advised that due to the year of my bike (2017) that was not an issue and I already had the sprocket. If they are wrong, please let me know. Otherwise, THANK YOU! You brought me the closest to finding and solving this problem. You matched Harley Engineering too! I'll keep my fingers crossed.
JC.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by John@nepa
HELP!!!!!!!
I bought a brand new 2017 Harley Ultra Limited and loaded it up with all kinds of upgrades,
white walls, 2,000 speaker upgrade etc... I am experiencing total electrical failure while operating
Notorious electrical system killers...

The following 3 users liked this post by Tired:
INJEKTER (04-29-2019), LJLKRL05 (03-25-2019), Uncle Larry (03-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Catistrophic Electrical Failure 17 Limited