Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 429 Likes on 329 Posts

powervision from FM is a win win. winpv is da shizzle!

Old 04-10-2019, 10:07 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

You have a heavy road motorcycle, correct? All this dynamometer advice is pure, excessive nonsense--and liable to only lighten your wallet without any reasonable returned value. The only sensible advice for you here is to install an on-board tuner for which you can select exactly--or very closely--the modifications you make. Close is absolutely good enough. These are calculated "maps" from the vendor; a vendor such as DynoJet, or several others.

For the owner of a road cycle, the notion that you need dynamometer test is just foolish. Look at the 2006 Ultra cycle in my signature: it has all kinds of expensive modifications (installed by a former owner) with an older Dynojet tuner version with a close-enough map from that vendor--and should I be stupid enough to think it is a good idea, I can pull my front wheel off the ground in second gear. This cycle has never seen a dynamometer.

Lastly, I have never had one moment of mechanical trouble with this cycle--and even today I can pull away from many HD OEM high-cube models. Quit listening to the ****-compulsives here and use some common sense.

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Never had a problem with just adding slip ons. Mess with the air side and that's a different story. I have seen it where the mufflers aren't clamped tight enough and suck air, that will cause popping. I've even had to use hi-temp on the head pipe where the mufflers clamp on to avoid any leak.

Last edited by Bass Player; 04-10-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 628 Posts

My '09 Ultra Classic came with an orange SE Super Tuner Pro. 103ci, 510g cams, SE slip ons, kuryakyn bahn AC w K&N filter. Runs great, my only complaint is the gas mileage is like 28/29 mpg. Doesnt run hot at all even in AZ so its obviously rich. I'd like to do an auto tune or adjust it somewhat but I'm a big believer in, if it ain't broke dont F with it.

Last edited by Pantera99; 04-10-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 PM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 180 Posts

How does the Fuel Moto Power Vision tuner compare to the ThunderMax active monitoring? What are the pros and cons of each - other than price? I know the ThunderMax is about twice the cost at $1000.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyjunky
So I added some slip ons on my 08 SG (stock air cleaner) and I’m getting a lot of deceleration popping.. I’m guessing tuning would help sort it out maybe??.. but am I better off getting an air cleaner and then tune it or just get it tuned? I would like to get a air cleaner just hoping to wait till next year as I’ve already spent a crap load on this bike already and didn’t really want to add anything else. But if I’d be better off getting a air cleaner then I’d guess I’d go that route.
Check ebay for your air cleaner. I just bought a Ventilator for $65 complete. There were more on there too. As far as your popping goes, are the baffles removed from your slip ons? The lack of back pressure will cause that.

Last edited by whiskeyfire; 04-10-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Forrest77
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
How does the Fuel Moto Power Vision tuner compare to the ThunderMax active monitoring? What are the pros and cons of each - other than price? I know the ThunderMax is about twice the cost at $1000.

Thanks.
I have the Thunder-Max on mine and although I have only used it to load base maps and monitor it is also has ability to read diag and provide current and historic codes which was useful even last night when I popped a p0118 code. I just needed to reseat the ET sensor plug but was able to watch the code go from current to OK. Other tuners may do this also, Im not sure.

Last edited by Forrest77; 04-11-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,510 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
You have a heavy road motorcycle, correct? All this dynamometer advice is pure, excessive nonsense--and liable to only lighten your wallet without any reasonable returned value. The only sensible advice for you here is to install an on-board tuner for which you can select exactly--or very closely--the modifications you make. Close is absolutely good enough. These are calculated "maps" from the vendor; a vendor such as DynoJet, or several others.

For the owner of a road cycle, the notion that you need dynamometer test is just foolish. Look at the 2006 Ultra cycle in my signature: it has all kinds of expensive modifications (installed by a former owner) with an older Dynojet tuner version with a close-enough map from that vendor--and should I be stupid enough to think it is a good idea, I can pull my front wheel off the ground in second gear. This cycle has never seen a dynamometer.

Lastly, I have never had one moment of mechanical trouble with this cycle--and even today I can pull away from many HD OEM high-cube models. Quit listening to the ****-compulsives here and use some common sense.

Everybody looks for different things from their motorcycle experience, from looks, to ride, and finally performance.....

You're certainly entitled to voice your opinion, and I agree with you on several points.

What's "absolutely good enough" for you is not necessarily good enough for someone else. You seem to think that any opinion other than yours is "foolish" and "nonsense" and you're opinion is the only "sensible", and "common sense" solution......

You seem to believe that name calling, somehow bolsters your opinion. Belittling others opinions/experience does not make what you believe to be a fact.....

Lighten up Francis... you need to get over yourself....

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 623 Likes on 317 Posts

How many tuners do any of you know that will actually tune the 0% throttle pulldown? Most do a few full throttle pulls and use interpretive mapping rather than actual load tuning.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 889 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabchuck
How many tuners do any of you know that will actually tune the 0% throttle pulldown? Most do a few full throttle pulls and use interpretive mapping rather than actual load tuning.
Painting with a pretty broad stroke there...

Quick Reply: Tuning question