Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Harleyjunky
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tuning question

So I added some slip ons on my 08 SG (stock air cleaner) and I’m getting a lot of deceleration popping.. I’m guessing tuning would help sort it out maybe??.. but am I better off getting an air cleaner and then tune it or just get it tuned? I would like to get a air cleaner just hoping to wait till next year as I’ve already spent a crap load on this bike already and didn’t really want to add anything else. But if I’d be better off getting a air cleaner then I’d guess I’d go that route.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

If you add a high flow intake it's going to make your alresdy lean bike leaner and probably more decel popping and maybe worse. Spend the money on a good tuner now and then you can add to the bike as funds become available. Power vision from fuel moto will get you going in the right direction.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Harleyjunky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
If you add a high flow intake it's going to make your alresdy lean bike leaner and probably more decel popping and maybe worse. Spend the money on a good tuner now and then you can add to the bike as funds become available. Power vision from fuel moto will get you going in the right direction.
gotcha.. I’ll look into that.. thanks!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Harleyjunky
Intermediate

Couldn’t I also go get my bike dyno tuned and that would accomplish the same without the $500 unit?

The following users liked this post:
foghorn (04-10-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 PM
Godinaz
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You could, but a Dyno is only going to map your ECM for what's currently on your bike. If you buy a tuner whenever you add something to your bike you don't have to get it dyno'd again you can search for a map somewhere on the internet that matches what you've added and reprogram the bike yourself. If you buy a Tuner from Fuel Moto that have some of the best customer assistance around for helping you with the Maps.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,402 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyjunky
Couldn’t I also go get my bike dyno tuned and that would accomplish the same without the $500 unit?
There is no disputing that a good dyno tune, by a good tuner, is the best way to go.... it is also true that a bad (incompetent) tuner can do more harm than good. Not everyone who runs a dyno is a good tuner.....

If you are lucky enough to have a good dyno operator in your area, you are ahead of the game...

Most dyno tuners, whether they use a TTS, HD, PowerVision, or whatever tuner, will charge you for a tuner or an additional tuner license for their tuner, to do the dyno tune....

If you get a PowerVision tuner, you can flash maps, and do basic auto tuning yourself. If you stick with basic upgrades (Stage I, Stage II) it is my belief you will be able to get a map that is pretty good. If you want, you'll have the ability to do a couple auto tune basic runs, to get that map more dialed in to your specific bike. That should get your bike running very well. I have done that on two EFI bikes I own, and they run very well. I'm sure a competent dyno tuner could get me a little more and/or a little better drivability, but both bikes run really well as set up now..... I don't feel the need to hunt down a competent dyno tuner in my area...

When (if) you finally get your bike finished, with all the engine mods you want, you could then take it to a dyno tuner who uses powerVision, and you'd save the tuner/license costs..

If you have extensive upgrades to your bike or you plan on any kind of racing... or just want the maximum performance for given mods, a dyno tune (from a competent tuner) would be the best choice....

Good luck with your decision...

Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Harleyjunky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hattitude
There is no disputing that a good dyno tune, by a good tuner, is the best way to go.... it is also true that a bad (incompetent) tuner can do more harm than good. Not everyone who runs a dyno is a good tuner.....

If you are lucky enough to have a good dyno operator in your area, you are ahead of the game...

Most dyno tuners, whether they use a TTS, HD, PowerVision, or whatever tuner, will charge you for a tuner or an additional tuner license for their tuner, to do the dyno tune....

If you get a PowerVision tuner, you can flash maps, and do basic auto tuning yourself. If you stick with basic upgrades (Stage I, Stage II) it is my belief you will be able to get a map that is pretty good. If you want, you'll have the ability to do a couple auto tune basic runs, to get that map more dialed in to your specific bike. That should get your bike running very well. I have done that on two EFI bikes I own, and they run very well. I'm sure a competent dyno tuner could get me a little more and/or a little better drivability, but both bikes run really well as set up now..... I don't feel the need to hunt down a competent dyno tuner in my area...

When (if) you finally get your bike finished, with all the engine mods you want, you could then take it to a dyno tuner who uses powerVision, and you'd save the tuner/license costs..

If you have extensive upgrades to your bike or you plan on any kind of racing... or just want the maximum performance for given mods, a dyno tune (from a competent tuner) would be the best choice....

Good luck with your decision...
very valid points.. thanks for the input.. think I’ll bite the bullet and get the tuner.. shops around me are limited so if I went to get it done it would most likely be at the stealership.. and looking online it seems they would charge me close to the cost of the tuner anyway..

Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,402 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyjunky
very valid points.. thanks for the input.. think I’ll bite the bullet and get the tuner.. shops around me are limited so if I went to get it done it would most likely be at the stealership.. and looking online it seems they would charge me close to the cost of the tuner anyway..
Also, most dealerships these days are only tuning with the EPA approved HD tuner, because of all the hoopla over the EPA consent decree and the MoCo cracking down on warranty violations.... any of those tunes would NOT be the same as a good dyno tune from a competent tuner, and would be leaner than what you can do yourself with a PowerVison tuner.....

I found reading about, and learning to use the PowerVision, was actually quite fun... If you buy it from FuelMoto, you will get lifetime Map/tuning support form FuelMoto AND DynoJet.... win-win right there...

Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Adaptive fuel on that bike can handle the slip ons. With the cold air getting sucked in on the left pipe, it will exacerbate decel pop.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:56 PM
Jaftica
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I have been down the tuner road several times. However, I come to realize these bikes are 800+ something pounds, have fenders of a old Cadillac, are sloppy even when new. do I really need to be doing wheelies in all gears? or going from 0-60 in 2 seconds? Probably not. I found this company quite a few bikes ago and will not use anything else. Very simple plug and play device that simply changes your air/fuel ratio to what it should be to begin with. Nothing more nothing less. The results are impressive to say the least. I have used them with the cats on and off and it makes the same results. I prefer to run true duals naturally without the cats simply to let the motor breath and run cooler. The best part I like about these little gadgets is you install them and leave them. Theres no adjusting, playing, readjusting. and no you can't use your smartphone to play with them either. :-)

http://nightrider.com/

Quick Reply: Tuning question