Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather oil return/Rockouts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:15 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Breather oil return/Rockouts

Hello all,

Ive got a thread going on here about my adventure inspecting cam chain tensioner shoes, and wanted to ask another question that has to do with the top end. I’m reusing push rods, so I have the rocker covers, rockers, and breathers off. A buddy reccomended Rockouts, so I’m considering those.
I have heard about drilling the oil return holes larger to ⅛” for better oil return.
I’ve never had an issue with oil outside of the bike, before so I don’t have a problem to fix, but not knowing exactly what the purpose is, I’m curious if I should do it to improve oil returning?

can somebody help explain exactly what the purpose is, and what exactly to do?
Also, pros and cons of Rockouts?

thanks.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

I have rockouts and I’ve drilled the oil return holes out. I also run breather hoses to ground so no oil goes back in throttle body. If it were me, I’d do both while you have it open.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

The bigger holes just allow any oil laying in the top end to get back down easier and minimizes the chance of the oil blowing out the breather. If you have top end noise caused by the rocker shafts hitting the bolts that hold the rockers on then the rock outs will cure that. I put them in mine but I knew as soon as I pulled the shaft it wasn't the cause of my noise but I put them in anyway. You have it apart so look at the shafts where they pass by the bolts and if there are witness marks them the locks should eliminate some noise. It is an air cooled pushrod motor that you're sitting right on top of so don't let " normal " noises bankrupt you lol. You'll learn what normal is for your bike then when you hear something that's not you'll know right away. Make sure you follow the manual bolting those rocker holders back down...dont turn a nice easy preventative maintenance job into a motor rebuild project.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:45 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
Hello all,

Also, pros and cons of Rockouts?

thanks.
Pros... quieter engine, less wear on the shafts/rocker supports, better alignment
Cons.... absolutely none

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!