Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage to 2018/19 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Suggest renting a bike for the weekend and put it through its paces. My dealer let's you rent for the weekend and the end of the first day you can change to a different ride for the second day.

Might want to ride the SGS and RKS, as both have the 114 motor. I suggest the King Special as well, as it has similar looks to the Heritage, and you can add a detachable fairing and tourpak for the long haul.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:32 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
Currently riding a 2018 Heritage 114. Love the bike, but I've put 15K miles on in past year riding from Ohio to Florida, Gatlinburg, Sturgis, with more trips to follow. Considering moving to a Street Glide since I've grown to love the open road and distance trips. I will be test riding a Street Glide this week. Have never ridden any of the touring bikes. The 2018 Heritage has some know nuisances. For example, the speedo fogs up, the gas cap rattles, oil spits out the A/C if filled too high, some odd rubbing sounds when coasting, etc. Can anyone share on the new 18/19 Street Glides design flaws or mild irritations that many have encountered? Or is the bike flawless and a no brainer, must have, just go get the damn bike! I'll be looking a the Street Glide Special and plan to keep my Heritage. Thanks!!
I just did the exact same move, but did not trade in the Heritage...riding both, but do so love my new Street Glide Special. Only had it since Daytona Bike week and have put on almost 2k (while being out of town without a bike for the last 3+ weeks). If you have read many of my posts you know I'm sort of a accessories Junkie. Well I have also added a bunch of thiings to my Glide. I had gotten a 5k off MSRP but put almost that much back on through the dealer for Items such as passing Lamps, reach seat, color matched King Tour-Pak with all black hinges and latches, Passenger Foot Boards, Sadde Bag Guards and more. For a complete list of what I did and added plus pics, go to: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...da-silver.html

Edit: Never did address the cons to the SGS. 1. On the stock model the rear lights are the pits...almost non existent and the headlight and signal lights are not LEDs. 2. Can't understand why the gas flip up cover seems to open the wrong way. 3. The bike is kind of "plain Jane" as there is no embelishment trim. 4. The Infotainment system is good but without the WHIM a lot of the funtionality of the Boom GTS is going to waste.

Last edited by FrankEV; 05-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I just did the exact same move, but did not trade in the Heritage...riding both, but do so love my new Street Glide Special. Only had it since Daytona Bike week and have put on almost 2k (while being out of town without a bike for the last 3+ weeks). If you have read many of my posts you know I'm sort of a accessories Junkie. Well I have also added a bunch of thiings to my Glide. I had gotten a 5k off MSRP but put almost that much back on through the dealer for Items such as passing Lamps, reach seat, color matched King Tour-Pak with all black hinges and latches, Passenger Foot Boards, Sadde Bag Guards and more. For a complete list of what I did and added plus pics, go to: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...da-silver.html

Edit: Never did address the cons to the SGS. 1. On the stock model the rear lights are the pits...almost non existent and the headlight and signal lights are not LEDs. 2. Can't understand why the gas flip up cover seems to open the wrong way. 3. The bike is kind of "plain Jane" as there is no embelishment trim. 4. The Infotainment system is good but without the WHIM a lot of the funtionality of the Boom GTS is going to waste.
Frank, how did you find room in your garage/carport for a 2nd bike, lol. Was surprised when I saw your profile pic with a second bike. You had spent many hours working that Heritage and getting it custom to your liking. I am curious how you worked the $5K off on the SGS unless you're a good negotiator and/or they had plenty on the showroom floor. I also plan to spend heavy dollars on accessories right off so maybe I can leverage that.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I have the 595LM mounted nicely on the Heritage. Would not go anywhere without it. Good point about the flexibility of GPS systems. I really don't think I'd use the built in stereo since the Sena bluetooth speakers in my helmet work very well played through the Garmin or my phone, but maybe I would if I had it and could hear it. The biggest reason I am looking at the Street Glide Special is because I want the 114 motor.
Well, nothing wrong with that 114 although I'm perfectly happy with my 107. I too use the Sena in my helmet through the Zumo for tunes. Nothing wrong with that SGS -- great bike. Me, I'm a Road King guy, grin.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:51 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

The batwing bikes are not immune to condensation in the instruments. Perhaps not as widely reported as the Softails, but that issue could potentially follow you on the Street Glide nonetheless.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Frank, how did you find room in your garage/carport for a 2nd bike, lol. Was surprised when I saw your profile pic with a second bike. You had spent many hours working that Heritage and getting it custom to your liking. I am curious how you worked the $5K off on the SGS unless you're a good negotiator and/or they had plenty on the showroom floor. I also plan to spend heavy dollars on accessories right off so maybe I can leverage that.
First I had been toying with the idea of moving up to a turing bike for a while although I was, and am, very happy with my Cherry. I had thought a lot about adding a Fairing to the Heritage, but I could not get the kind of sound equipment and Nav system I wanted in an aftermarket Fairing.

When my son came down for Bike Week, I rode his '16 Glide and was further motivated. While he was down, on the first Saturday of Bike Week, we were visiting the various Dealerships to check out their inventory and the vendor activities. We were visiting Seminole Harley where I was actually looking to sit on an Ultra Limited Low but they only had an older one. After a lot of looking and conversatioon with both the Salesman and the Sales Manager, who immediately offered an UNSOLICITED Bike Week special 5K off MSRP, I finally agreed to a test ride and that sort of convinced me to buy the SGS. However, before doing so, I checked with my more local dealer (Destination Daytona) to see if they also offered the 5K off MSRP deal. Nope, they would not. So on Monday, after making my list of add ons I wanted to order with the bike and a lot of back and forth phone conversations on Sunday with the "Chrome Guy", I rode over and pulled the trigger. My out the door price with the add ons I ordered was just under the original MSRP. Of course you have to add in the Dealer prep, Doc fees, Tag and Title, Tire road Hazzard coverage and GAP insurance, etc. for a toatal of just about 30K. They included the first Service free and a one year added membership to HOG International with a gift box containing a HOG Patch, Pin and a Gremlin bell. I know...whoopie do!

Picked the Bike up on Tuesday morning. I took it out of the building and immediately around the back to the CD booth where I had most of the add on rear lighting installed. Then took it directly over to the Suspension Technologies Booth at Destination Daytona to have the bike lowered. On Wednesday went back over to the Suspension Technologies Booth to have the reversing pully installed, followed by having Magnaflow Slip-ons installed, CD pro-beam LED headlight/passing lamps installed and Pin Striping by Brody. Of course I added all of the other accesories over the next few weeks.

As I said, I'm keeping the Heritage and plan to ride both. I also have a 2006 Yamaha V-star 650 that my Lady is learning to ride on. Hopefully, if she does well and gets her license , she will get to ride Cherry and the Yam will go bye-bye.

3 Bikes and 2 cars

Cherry and Big Sister stacked up

The Yam in our sitting area, hopefull not for too long

Yes, the carport is very full.

Edit: don't know why text is so large.

Last edited by FrankEV; 05-20-2019 at 05:45 AM.