Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I currently have an air ride system on my 2016 streetglide. Aired out all the way the shocks are 9.5" long and there is no rub anywhere when aired completely out. With the reputation of pro-action or suspension technology shocks I would not think either company would supply a shock that would cause tire rub. Did you call the shock vendor to discuss your issue with them?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
I currently have an air ride system on my 2016 streetglide. Aired out all the way the shocks are 9.5" long and there is no rub anywhere when aired completely out. With the reputation of pro-action or suspension technology shocks I would not think either company would supply a shock that would cause tire rub. Did you call the shock vendor to discuss your issue with them?
OK, here is the story. In one word...ME!

Just was in the process of getting ready to replace the 11" ST shocks with the 12" OEM shocks. Got as far as getting the rear wheel jacked up off the ground. Decided to see if there was any adjusment left on the ST shocks. Well, to my supprise I wasn't even halfway up on the adjustment. With the load off the shocks the adjustment was far eaiser then when under even just the weight of the bike.

So running it up as stiff as possible, I took it out solo and hardly noticed much difference from when they were adjusted very soft. I'm aware that shorter shocks are inherently stiffer anyway., so there didn't seem to be much difference.

Then we when out 2-up and there was no tire rub, and only when hitting a severe bump there was a slight chirp. That would happen on my Heritage as well so we can live with that and just try to avoid those hard bumps and potholes.

Looking at the setting charts for the OEM 12" shocks, the adjustment was 0 for me alone, and 23 for us 2-up. This kind of told me for us I will have to keep the ST shock fully stiff for 2-up riding and deal with the stiffness when riding solo since making changes to the ST shocks is not as easy as shocks with a **** adjuster.

Looks like to ease the stiffness situation a little, a seat mod by MCC may be in order...cheaper than Air ride.

I think I can say we can put this thread to bed!

Last edited by FrankEV; 06-03-2019 at 09:12 AM.