Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 AM
BarleyW83
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn signals?!

Recently put on new bars, after getting controls and such remounted I've now got only one (front left) turn signal light that comes on...and it doesn't flash. Thoughts? Do I simply have a pinched wire(s) somewhere? Why would only one bulb come on, but not flash? Please help!

Old 06-15-2019, 10:17 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

get a test light and start working from the bulb socket back to the connector at the frame

Old 06-16-2019, 02:38 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,415 Likes on 4,019 Posts

Originally Posted by BarleyW83
Recently put on new bars, after getting controls and such remounted I've now got only one (front left) turn signal light that comes on...and it doesn't flash. Thoughts? Do I simply have a pinched wire(s) somewhere? Why would only one bulb come on, but not flash? Please help!

It would appear it was something you touched/changed/modified when you switched bars....

What year bike? Canbus or before...?

During your bar install did you.... Extend the wires?.... disassemble a connector?..... break a wire when removing/installing the switchpaks?..... run the wires through the new bars and have a hard time pulling the wires?

There are many things that could have happened to interrupt that circuit... as mentioned above, start checking the turn signal circuit and be prepared to go back and check your work....

Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 PM
BarleyW83
Intermediate

Been a little while since my original post, but I did what you two suggested, got the test light and started at the light...at first, nothing, but then after taking the right auxiliary light/turn signal housing apart I found a couple places where the wire coating seemed to be fraying a little, I tediously taped, so as to be able to refeed back through the housing, plugged it all in, including the headlight, and bam, all lights are now on. One hitch, now the turn signals, front and back stay on permanently, no flashing. Also, on the dash, the two green turn signal lights are permanently on. I got the dianostic code 621121, went through the steps of resetting the tssm, and nada, they are still on permanently, compounding to my issue, now the brake light doesn't get any stronger when I depress the front or rear brake levers...thoughts? I checked fuses, replaced all of them with new ones, still no change.

Oh, and my bike is an 09 street glide, if that makes any difference.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 PM
BarleyW83
Intermediate

ok, I was looking at another post and realized that maybe I had put the wrong bulbs into the wrong sockets. checked and sure enough, i had bulbs with only 1 contact in the front when i needed two. so, that got the green flasher indicators to turn off on the dash, however, still not flashing, not throwing any code. However, the rear brake light is still not flashing, so i'm wondering if theres not something going on in there. thoughts?

Old 06-26-2019, 10:30 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,415 Likes on 4,019 Posts

Originally Posted by BarleyW83
ok, I was looking at another post and realized that maybe I had put the wrong bulbs into the wrong sockets. checked and sure enough, i had bulbs with only 1 contact in the front when i needed two. so, that got the green flasher indicators to turn off on the dash, however, still not flashing, not throwing any code. However, the rear brake light is still not flashing, so i'm wondering if theres not something going on in there. thoughts?
It's hard to help with an electrical diagnosis, because we only know what you type, not everything that has been touched/adjusted/changed... For example your post was about new handle bars, and then you mention you switched bulbs around... not saying anything is wrong with that, just an example of some info we didn't know when trying to help you diagnose the problem... as you found out, with electrical, the problem can sometimes be simple and obvious...

As for the turn signals not flashing.... since you just changed handlebars and they worked prior to the change... I would be focusing on switchpak wiring, specifically the turn signal switches to the TSSM.

As for the brake light not flashing, I assume you mean it doesn't come on when the brake is activated. I'd check the brake light switch in the front brake switchpak. For many model years, if you try to mount the front brake lever to the switchpak, without a spacer between the brake lever & base, you can damage that switch... the spacer technique is covered in the service manual..

Good luck... electrical stuff is a pain...