Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD...What are the basics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 02:11 PM
Ewing
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question New to HD...What are the basics?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to H-D, but not new to bikes. Usually had Japanese crotch rockets in my past.

My father in law bought a new to him 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited and he was awesome enough to hand down to me his 2000 Electra Glide Standard carb, not EFI. I've been trolling the forums for a while trying to learn some stuff and I now have some questions. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy yet, but did want to know from the knowledgeable here, what should be the basics to do for performance? What are the things you'd call "bolt-on" upgrades that don't involve heavy shop work? The bike already has Rinehart exhaust. Is there a "go to" intake (or is it air cleaner?) that is a community consensus to put on this bike? What other easy performance upgrades are there to do on this bike? It is very low miles for a 2000 (53K) and in excellent shape.

Besides performance bolt-ons, I know I want to upgrade the standard lighting on it all around. I'd like to upgrade it all to quality LED's. I see the pricey Custom Dynamics stuff. Is there anyone else I should check out? I imagine this model is not CAN BUS compatible, so am I looking at taking it to a shop for custom wiring to make the LED's work properly?

Finally, anything else on a very well taken care of 2000 FLHT Electra Glide Standard that I should do?

All help is appreciated. I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:04 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Read, learn, and ride. It will all come to you when you get some time on the bike, just don't buy cheap stuff or you'll do it twice.

The following 3 users liked this post by 702:
DanHappy (08-02-2021), iBloke (06-29-2021), TriGeezer (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:09 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

At 53k, make sure the cam chain tensioners were upgraded. Or at least checked, and replaced as necessary.

Was your father in law the original owner? If he was he should know their status. There are many threads about this.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:21 PM
Ewing
Novice

Yes, he's the original owner so I'll ask. I plan on getting the dealer to thoroughly check it so I'll make sure to mention this. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (08-02-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,722 Likes on 3,253 Posts

Regarding the LED lighting, Harley touring bikes didn't go CANBUS until the 2014 model year, so a load equalizer would have to be added to make the turn signals flash at the proper rate.

And yes, Custom Dynamics may be more expensive than other brands, but you get what you pay for. They are almost universally praised on this forum for quality and customer service (yes, I'm a satisfied customer of theirs).

Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,202 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Welcome aboard

Ewing (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:44 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

Dont assume your crotch rocket skills translate to a touring bike. Your 2000 EG is slow, top heavy and the brakes are sub par compared to a racing bike. Learn the 'brake trailing' technique (using your rear brake AND applying throttle at the same time) to improve your slow speed (parking lot) handling. I rode metrics and a Sporty for 20 years, going up to a touring bike has really made me relearn a lot of my riding techniques.

Dont skimp on maintenance. While doing your oil change, learn to check every other visible bolt on the bike. Ive seen all sorts of preventable damage because one single fastener backed out and was left loose for a full riding season.

Dont give the motorcycle wave to guys on mopeds. There's a hierarchy here man! (Im kidding.)

Enjoy!!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by internet troll:
DanHappy (08-02-2021), Ewing (06-29-2021), jasle (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:51 PM
Stowe
Tourer
Received 384 Likes on 177 Posts

"Dont assume your crotch rocket skills translate to a touring bike. Your 2000 EG is slow, top heavy and the brakes are sub par compared to a racing bike. Learn the 'brake trailing' technique (using your rear brake AND applying throttle at the same time) to improve your slow speed (parking lot) handling." This. Take your time and get a feel for the bike. The brakes are going to be nothing like what you're used to and parking lots will take some adjustment. There are some good videos on YouTube about slow maneuvers on heavy bikes. I recently went from a triumph bonneville to a road king. It's a whole different animal, but it's easily manageable if you take your time and respect the weight. The triumph feels like a cheap bicycle now 😆

The following 2 users liked this post by Stowe:
DanHappy (08-02-2021), Ewing (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:53 PM
Ewing
Novice

OK, that's what I thought regarding Custom Dynamics. I'm definitely not cheaping out on the lighting, just didn't know any vendors in the HD world. Are the load equalizers a plug n play install item or does it require custom wiring?

Any thoughts on the performance side? Is there a consensus intake for this bike?

Old 06-29-2021, 04:00 PM
Ewing
Novice

Originally Posted by internet troll
Dont give the motorcycle wave to guys on mopeds. There's a hierarchy here man! (Im kidding.)

Enjoy!!!!

That made my day. lol

binarym (08-02-2021)

Quick Reply: New to HD...What are the basics?