Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tire with nail in it

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 AM
happy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tire with nail in it

just put a new rear tire on my 2003 road king,only has 500 miles on it.got in yesterday from a ride and when i went to move it this morning it was flat.put a plug in it just to get it up so i could move it around.someone told me dont trust a plug? also told me not to put a tube in it.just to go get a new tire put on.it was a nail in the tire right in the middle of the tire.question is?? keep the plug? put a tube init? or go buy a new tire?? these dang tires aint cheap.....

Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: new tire with nail in it

been there.. i know what ur going thru.. Let me tell you.. Ide leave the plugin and ride the sh.. outta that tire. Early on ide change it as well.. 3 years ago i was in the same boat as u.. Nail in a tire with 800 + miles on it.. Had it plugged..(rear tire) rode it for 10, 000 miles . when it wore out I changed it.. i called Dunlop , of course they said OH NOOO U MUST CHANGE THAT TIRE... HMMM they sell tires right !.. my 2 cents ride it out !
Nick

Old 08-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

I assume that you don't have spoked wheels then?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: happy

just put a new rear tire on my 2003 road king,only has 500 miles on it.got in yesterday from a ride and when i went to move it this morning it was flat.put a plug in it just to get it up so i could move it around.someone told me dont trust a plug? also told me not to put a tube in it.just to go get a new tire put on.it was a nail in the tire right in the middle of the tire.question is?? keep the plug? put a tube init? or go buy a new tire?? these dang tires aint cheap.....
There's nothing wrong with plugging a tire as long as the puncture isn't on the sidewall or very near it. If it's in the tread, go for it. I just plugged my front tire and used a commonly available kit from Auto Zone. The plugs are very gooey, seal well, and I've had no trouble with any repair I've made with them, either for the car or motorcycle. OTOH, if the vehicle is used solely for racing purposes, I would change the tire.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
happy
5th Gear

have the standard wheels on in,not spoked. the plug was the ones from advanced auto.the nail was right in the tread in the middle.with all your thoughts might give it a try for a while.just take it easy on it for a while.called dunlop and yep they said replace it.called the harley dealer and yep said replace it.you got it right its all about money!!! thanks for the replys gonna go take a ride for a while to clear the anger from the brain cells that are left

Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In VA. the bike won't pass inspection with a plug in it.A plug should hold, But if it don't ............... Do you want to chance it? I wouldn't. Tires are cheap compaired to hospitals.

Just my $.02

Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride it with the plug and if you have a problem go with a tube. If it's in the spot you describe you should be fine. Too much money just to buy a new one if you have alternatives.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
kingultra
Cruiser

I would have the tire patched from in side and put a tube in it, or replace. I would be the guy that would always be worried about the plug every time I was riding. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me

Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Best money I ever spent was for tire and wheel coverage. Cost me $400 for 5 yrs and have had two tires replaced the first year and a half due to flats. As long as there's more than 3/32" left they replace them at no charge. If you get near 3/32",,,,there's a lot of drywall screws out there. Do the math.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would use the same rule i do on my cages plug is fine on the rear but not on the front just in case. theback tire wont make you flip. even though you have plugged it you can still have it patched on the inside. I would just put a tube in it and be done.

Quick Reply: new tire with nail in it