Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another cam tensioner thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 06:37 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,553 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Where do you get the 5HP from?
Can't wait for the answer.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:27 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by harvenator
I change all the early twins to hydraulic and a new style oil pump or gear drive (especially if the customer wants new cams). That system robs at least 5hp due to the extreme tension of the springs and is unreliable Once the swap is made to hydraulics, you can easily go 50k miles with peace of mind. There are aftermarket replacement pads available for the hydraulic system. If you have the pinion run out for the gear drive, once you button it up, you never have to go into the cam chest again.
Not trying to dog pile, but......... NEVER have to go into the camchest AGAIN???

Old 11-28-2022, 01:11 AM
TheCoffee
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Wow................ Not sure were to begin with a response to this prattle, Not going off on a tangent - you made a comment about a Harley Genuis - I replied, apparently that reply touched a nerve. you said tear down/ builds......... nothing Harley specific there, I have seen few of his videos, as well Doc Harley & a Matt Laidlaw video or two - these are guys that promote themselves for business' sake - plain & simple.

Your comments in regard to a self builder bangin in cam bearings with Thors Hammer are an instance of rarity im sure and clearly done by an amateur, your strawman analogies are half merited or have no merit at all, My comment about builders rising to the top (successful) are based on experience, I know many very good builders working out of nothing more than a one stall garage that can do amazing metal work, cast their own jugs, do bottom end work that rivals the big names and more............... they are not rich, they have no notoriety, they are humble with callous hands and scarred from their work of forming sheet metal, cutting & welding.

Some do rise to the top based off their works, but there are just as many who the camera finds unique, or they have drama to catapult ratings. ya see the best builders to me are the ones who go out back in a non heated / AC garage, they dont have a tool they build it, they work on more than just HD - they dont need to brag or make videos - word of mouth is their advertisement - Baxter - Doc HD - Matt laidlaw.............they have a gift of gab, cameras rolling and some buy into them being - as you put it "a harley Genuis" I think you`ll find your romance with them a little one sided. No key board Warrior here trying to make Hay - just a blue collar working guy trying to get through this thing called life.

Now that we totally went off topic - The OP posted and many provided advice, we can agree to disagree, But back to topic & happy turkey day Everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Sigh...the tangent is all yours, starting with of all things, picking out of my post my opinion of Baxter. If there was nerve hit it was yours with; " I would hardly consider Kevin Baxter a Harley Genius", dismissing his opinion on tensioner wear while failing to provide a rational that made sense (didn't even recognize his pads weren't OEM), and "Why do you think that? because he has a youtube channel?". Going on to dismiss him as nothing more than a salesman, and 'love affair' lol......man someone referring to a builder with vastly more experience than you really rubs that ego the wrong way doesn't it? You've spent vastly more time attacking Baxter and my opinion of his ability than any other part of my post or on actually helping OP. That is a nerve rubbed raw. Side note: it is perfectly ok to have a high opinion of someone's talent, YouTube channel or not.

Strawmen:
1. Rattling off a list of machines you've wrenched that are not HD, which has zero bearing on troubleshooting a HD.
2. "because he has a youtube channel?" not once have you provided an example that would actually show that Baxter is not a solid and talented builder.
2. Compared Baxter to OCC and them dying. Completely apples and oranges, and the reason OCC went out of business is entirely irrelevant for that reason or for having an opinion on Baxter's talent.
3.Dismissing Baxter's Garage as successful by accident lol.....you really hate a guy with more experience than you.
4. "these are guys that promote themselves for business' sake". Again with the YouTube strawman. Exactly how does promoting your shop on YouTube make you not a competent or talented builder which is what you are inferring? Moonshine Harley pulls in big business with theirs, I'm sure Baxter does as well, not seeing the issue.

"self builder bangin in cam bearings " lol zeroed in on that one didn't you. Taken in context, which escaped you I guess, was meant to demonstrate the wide range of experience and competence one will find on YouTube. One one side is Baxter, Moonshine, Doc Harley, etc, at the other is the dude with a hammer drooling on his gravy stained wife beater. You seem to take exception with YouTube videos but watch them yourself, really weird.

Finally at the end we get to your real issue; you think being successful and having a YouTube channel makes you not blue collar enough or worthy of your respect. So that is your real issue with those guys, their success? How pathetic is that?

Do us both a favor and focus on OP in future threads and ignore me if I happen to comment or I'll start quoting YouTube personalities just to spike your BP. lol

Old 11-28-2022, 01:15 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCoffee
Sigh...the tangent is all yours, starting with of all things, picking out of my post my opinion of Baxter. If there was nerve hit it was yours with; " I would hardly consider Kevin Baxter a Harley Genius", dismissing his opinion on tensioner wear while failing to provide a rational that made sense (didn't even recognize his pads weren't OEM), and "Why do you think that? because he has a youtube channel?". Going on to dismiss him as nothing more than a salesman, and 'love affair' lol......man someone referring to a builder with vastly more experience than you really rubs that ego the wrong way doesn't it? You've spent vastly more time attacking Baxter and my opinion of his ability than any other part of my post or on actually helping OP. That is a nerve rubbed raw. Side note: it is perfectly ok to have a high opinion of someone's talent, YouTube channel or not.

Strawmen:
1. Rattling off a list of machines you've wrenched that are not HD, which has zero bearing on troubleshooting a HD.
2. "because he has a youtube channel?" not once have you provided an example that would actually show that Baxter is not a solid and talented builder.
2. Compared Baxter to OCC and them dying. Completely apples and oranges, and the reason OCC went out of business is entirely irrelevant for that reason or for having an opinion on Baxter's talent.
3.Dismissing Baxter's Garage as successful by accident lol.....you really hate a guy with more experience than you.
4. "these are guys that promote themselves for business' sake". Again with the YouTube strawman. Exactly how does promoting your shop on YouTube make you not a competent or talented builder which is what you are inferring? Moonshine Harley pulls in big business with theirs, I'm sure Baxter does as well, not seeing the issue.

"self builder bangin in cam bearings " lol zeroed in on that one didn't you. Taken in context, which escaped you I guess, was meant to demonstrate the wide range of experience and competence one will find on YouTube. One one side is Baxter, Moonshine, Doc Harley, etc, at the other is the dude with a hammer drooling on his gravy stained wife beater. You seem to take exception with YouTube videos but watch them yourself, really weird.

Finally at the end we get to your real issue; you think being successful and having a YouTube channel makes you not blue collar enough or worthy of your respect. So that is your real issue with those guys, their success? How pathetic is that?

Do us both a favor and focus on OP in future threads and ignore me if I happen to comment or I'll start quoting YouTube personalities just to spike your BP. lol

Oh My..................... this lil fella`s got issues, please move on - you have contributed nothing here other than your man love for ole Baxter, go watch one of his videos & engage in putting a turtleneck sweater on your one-eyed minnow.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:36 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,587 Likes on 4,098 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Oh My..................... this lil fella`s got issues, please move on - you have contributed nothing here other than your man love for ole Baxter, go watch one of his videos & engage in putting a turtleneck sweater on your one-eyed minnow.

IMHO.....

While I mostly agree with your opinion on Baxter, you're both being a little childish and really distracting from the point of this thread..

Perhaps you both should just let it go...

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 06:21 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Hattitude,

I tried to move on - but you are right, I just read his reply and rifled off a post. A childish response, my bad.

Apologies to those reading this and to the OP......