Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Road King luggage rack delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 06:09 PM
Steelhead slayer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Road King luggage rack delete

Hey all you Road King Heads out there,
I own a beautiful green '96 road king with only 5K miles that I am giving some love to and making it look the way I want. Texas John at 8th day cycle in Lewiston, ID did a 2" lowering kit front and back and a new low profile Drag seat and she's definitely sitting way lower which is what I was after. BTW Texas John is awesome, does fantastic work and is super reasonable for anyone in the area looking to have work done on their bike. I really would like to get rid of the luggage rack and back rest, but that is where we are running into trouble. The 1994-96 road kings had a different rear rack system that you just can't remove. it seems to be part of the integrity of the rear of the frame itself. There used to be someone who made a replacement rear grab handle that went strait across the back and held a license plate, but I can't find one anywhere. With this bike being so old and an only 3 year model I'm sure it will be a struggle trying to find something that will work. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

Last edited by Steelhead slayer; 04-25-2024 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 04-25-2024, 06:26 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 831 Posts

Picture might help.

The following 2 users liked this post by hd4evr2008:
Steelhead slayer (04-25-2024), WP50 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:23 AM
FLHRinFL
Cruiser
Received 219 Likes on 97 Posts

That rack should just unbolt from the frame rails as it is/was just an accessory item from the P/A catalog. The way it left the factory was with a chrome horseshoe with the license plate bracket. Once the rack is unbolted put a lay-down license plate bracket on the fender and you should be good to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by FLHRinFL:
Buelligan666 (04-26-2024), eighteight (04-29-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:23 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Master
Received 719 Likes on 387 Posts

Here’s a picture and part number, if it helps.
Maybe a salvage yard would have one!?

Item # 12
47440-92

Old 04-26-2024, 02:07 PM
Steelhead slayer
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FLHRinFL
That rack should just unbolt from the frame rails as it is/was just an accessory item from the P/A catalog. The way it left the factory was with a chrome horseshoe with the license plate bracket. Once the rack is unbolted put a lay-down license plate bracket on the fender and you should be good to go.
Thank you for the diagram. You don’t think that horse shoe as you call it needs to be in there for frame support side to side?

Old 04-26-2024, 02:47 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Many people replace that "horseshoe" with either lights or something decorative like spikes. It doesn't support anything except it serves as a place for the tag.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:40 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelhead slayer
Hey all you Road King Heads out there,
I own a beautiful green '96 road king with only 5K miles that I am giving some love to and making it look the way I want. Texas John at 8th day cycle in Lewiston, ID did a 2" lowering kit front and back and a new low profile Drag seat and she's definitely sitting way lower which is what I was after. BTW Texas John is awesome, does fantastic work and is super reasonable for anyone in the area looking to have work done on their bike. I really would like to get rid of the luggage rack and back rest, but that is where we are running into trouble. The 1994-96 road kings had a different rear rack system that you just can't remove. it seems to be part of the integrity of the rear of the frame itself. There used to be someone who made a replacement rear grab handle that went strait across the back and held a license plate, but I can't find one anywhere. With this bike being so old and an only 3 year model I'm sure it will be a struggle trying to find something that will work. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.Jason
Well first - you need to stay in the Evo forum where people know things and people who don't, won't make fun of you for asking valid questions. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/

Here's the install sheet you can reverse step and get it off. It's PDF file and I recommend you not open it on a phone, pc only so you can see it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rack.pdf (1.96 MB, 9 views)
Old 04-28-2024, 01:31 PM
Steelhead slayer
2nd Gear

Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to get the rack off. Now I just need to come up with something to make it looked finished. I wish I could get my hands on a chrome horse shoe to go back in the racks place.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:35 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,277 Likes on 831 Posts

Between ebay and swap meets, you should be able to get hold of a horseshoe readily enough.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:05 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelhead slayer
Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to get the rack off. Now I just need to come up with something to make it looked finished. I wish I could get my hands on a chrome horse shoe to go back in the racks place.

Finding that 'horseshoe'/rear grab rail might be a bit of a task...I have been searching for some for the '97-'07 Models. They are out there, but they are pricer than I expected. The P/N for your 1996 is different than what I've been looking for though.

I would suggest you look into whether you need something like this...Whenever I have removed the grab bar to do a license plate relocation I have used something similar. While the upper rails on either side of the rear fender are not a major structural piece...they do help support the rear fender and tie-into the rear supports for the saddlebags.

https://a.co/d/bjQrEj1