Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffles vs Volume

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM
HarleyHopeful
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffles vs Volume

Idiot question here: Do I have it correct that, as a rule of thumb, the longer the baffles the louder the volume? I'm looking to replace the stock mufflers with cycle shack's but unsure of baffle length. Would like about a "5" on a "1-10" scale. Suggestions or help.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Baffles vs Volume

I have all V&H; true duals w/basic slip ons. The baffels are 2 1/4 by 6 inches. I changed them to 2 by 10 inches. It got them to a 5 on a 10 scale. For you question I think the 2 inch will have less volume that he 21/4; the length-from my experience- adds a deeper sound.
I would consider listening to different set ups with your own ears. Each person hears differently and the sound must be to your likeing not someone's else's ears.
I went on the TOT ride in Sept. there were 160,000 bikes there so I got to hear many many different set ups. The one that go my attention is the se slip on's with the green light in the hd catalog. Not sure of the number. Hope this helps
jim

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
itsmyforte
Tourer

yourlimited to how an exhaust can sound by the length of the pipe design. basically the more "time" the exhaust passes through a baffle it will strip off the higher frequencys first, so you will have more a bassy sound from a longer baffle. that is until its too long, then you will start loosing bass notes as well.as far as loud goes, it has everything to with baffle design and how much damping material is used. If you want a 5, I might suggest the Supertrapp SE pipes. kinda hard to guage loudness, everyone is different.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
HarleyHopeful
Intermediate

Okay, so I'm seeing these SEs with 2" baffles mostly. The stock pipes are just so tame...wife doesn't understand my needs for deeper sound but I'm sure you guys do! I guess maybe I should have been more specific. I actually don't like LOUD pipes but would like to get that classic Harley rumble out of my putt! Think I'd get what I'm looking for (deep tone but moderate volume) out of the Tedd's Cycle (V-Twin) slip-ons? Not sure of the baffle length but they say they're 28" long and 2.5" diameter. Baby's on the way, so can't be spending a ton on the scoot at this point! HELP!! God, I'm such a rookie!!! Thanks guys!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer

maybe you should look at the part # 64985-07a, A being the important part. Ive heard many a good things about them. they are supposed to have a nice rumble and are NOT real loud.

check this out
https://www.hdforums.com/archive/thr...1961381-1.html