Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Glide Questions

In looking over the Road Glide threads, I see a lot of people who say they are really happy with the handling. Why would this be? Arent all of the FLH-series bikes, except for the lowered SG, pretty much the same bike in terms of suspension, rake, wheelbase, etc? Why would the RG handle so well, compared to an EG or RK? And what do you mean by "handles well"?

How's that fairing work out for you in terms of blocking wind, compared to the batwing?

How would you compare 2-up touring with the RG as opposed to the other FLH's?

Does the RG have a 12-volt power outlet?

Background:
This year, I got a 2007 1200C, and I have it fixed up exactly how I want it. I bought it for my daily commute, because I was getting tired of filling up my truck with 34 gallons of diesel every week or so.

But, in the last 4 months, the OL went from not being interested in bikes at all, to taking short rides with me, to thinking about weekend trips. The Sporty is OK for occasional 2-up riding on short trips, but it isn't a bike I'd want to try anything longer than about 3 or 4 hour trip on riding 2-up. So, sometime next year, I'm probably going to have to look at something more suitable, unless I can get her on a bike of her own (in which case I'm keeping the Sporty).

So, I'm looking into the differences between the various FLH models to see which ones I should be thinking the most seriously about. My usage will be mainly solo daily commuting (30% open highway, 30% rural roads, 30% city, about 1200 miles per month), and occasional 2-up trips of 800-1200 miles and some shorter 2-up jaunts around town.
[/align] [/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Road Glide Questions

Batwing fairing is attached to the front forks adding more weight to the front end and making the steering a bit heavier

Wind - you'll get wind with any bike - but with the fairing pushed forward and attached to the frame make it more stable in the wind over the batwing - as far blocking the wind that a push - your going to get wind no matter what your riding it all depends on how much and a change in windshields normally can correct that condition

2-up the wife says that she enjoys the ride.... (It all goes back to the windshild you end up using) as far as comfort she loves the ride

12V on the left fairing pocket... But you can put more on if needed - I did

Best way is to rent one for the week-end and drive the snot out it and put it through your own test - I have had many Touring Bikes including Batwings - Windshield Type - other makes and I think that the RG is on the top of my list for comfort & handling

Old 11-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Harley first came out with the shark nose fairing on the old Tour Glide I thought it was ugly.
At that time I wouldn't ride anything with a windshield or saddle bags.
As the years went by I didn't even notice that the Tour Glide was gone and replaced with the Road Glide.
In the last couple of years I started to notice that the shark nose was still around but something had changed. I don't know if it was me or the bike or bothbut the ugly duckling had turned into a swan.
Sort of like the plain Jane in high school that no one notices until she turns up a few years down the raod and you can't belive how good she looks.
A few weeks ago I bought an 08 Road Glide. A lot of my friends have bat wings and Road Kings. They are very happy with them but now after they have benn eyeballing my Road Glide they are starting to talk about making their next bike a Road Glide.
I guess the old girl is starting to turn some heads.
Try one before you buy one but I think you are going to love the Road Glide.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RG has to be an aquired taste like sardines cause that is one fugly bike.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Dale, it sounds like you're walking a similar path as me...

I just traded my '07 Road King for an '08 Road Glide and I am very pleased. The chassis is the same between the two bikes, so ergonomics came down to handlebar and seat differences. I find that the Glide handles a little crisper than the King, but not so much as a night and day difference around town. On the expressway, there is MUCH less wind buffeting on the Glide due to the frame mounted fairing; the King transmitted a lot of wind buffeting to the handlebar every time a large truck passed me, and other large gusts of wind translated directly to the handlebar. The Glide is much more comfortable than the King in that regard. On the other hand, getting used to the dynamics of the fork-mounted windshield on the King was not really a problem and did not detract from my enjoyment of it.

Interestingly, the additional coverage of the shark nose fairing is not "night and day" compared to the windshield on the King. I was expecting a totally calm pocket of air behing the Glide's fairing, but in reality it's about the same as I experienced on the King - totally unexpected. I had a Clearview windshield on the King and wind deflectors on the forks, so that probably gave me additional protection from wind over the stock setup. I have started wearing a full face helmet recently and I do like the position of the gauges on the Glide over the King - I don't have to look down to see the speedometer anymore. I also like the additional gauges on the Glide. But I don't have a use for the stereo (yet) - I don't "get" stereos on motorcycles and would rather not have that distraction.

My '08 Glide has two accessory 12 volts connections: one is on the dash in the form of a cigarette lighter and the other is under the seat and controlled by a switch on the dash. My owner's manual indicates that the cigarette lighter should not be used to power electronics, although I don't see why not.

My wife and I have done many 200 mile Saturday rides on the King and a few overnighters - it's comfortable with plenty of room (and we are "above average" in size. The Glide feels just as roomy and I anticipate that it will be just as comfortable. We used a Mustang seat on the King in order to get the comfort we needed for longer trips, and the jury is still out on the seat on the Glide, but it seems more comfortable than the stock seat on the King.

In the end, I think selectionamong the touring models is a matter of style preference and accessories/setup. I have a history of Gold Wings and BMW's, so the shark nose fairing on the Road Glide looks natural to me. The Road King was a beautiful and functional nostalgic ride and I will always have fond memories of it - one of the greatest bikes I have ever owned. I'm looking forward to spending time with the Road Glide now...

Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy
Best way is to rent one for the week-end and drive the snot out it and put it through your own test
This is the best advice.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:55 AM
cderider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fork damping on the RG is the same as the Ultra, I have never found out what the differance is.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The difference is the weight ON the forks. The Ultra has the fairing ON the forks, which makes the steering have a heavy feel, not bad heavy, just different. The Road Glide's fairing weight is on the frame, so thats maybe 40 pounds that is NOT on the forks making the steering light and more nimble especially in the slow speed manuevering. It has little to do with the springs/damping more to do with the weight

Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
BillyO
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice from our RG brothers. Capjohn 37 is right about aquired taste--but wrong on sardines, Pastor John does not speak with fork tounge,no pun intended either.
Riding since 1963. Only bike I would NOT consider trading for another model.
Suggestion: buy a used 06 model and upgrade to a 95' stage two.
You have more options of engine upgrades--I believe.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

The difference is the weight ON the forks. The Ultra has the fairing ON the forks, which makes the steering have a heavy feel, not bad heavy, just different. The Road Glide's fairing weight is on the frame, so thats maybe 40 pounds that is NOT on the forks making the steering light and more nimble especially in the slow speed manuevering. It has little to do with the springs/damping more to do with the weight
True but is there more to it than that ?

Never really bothered to take a look at an Electra Glides front end but here's what the December 2007 issue of American Iron Magazine says in a review of the '08 Road Glide:

"The Glide is the only H-D that places it's fork tubes behind the steering head and offset from it.In effect,this crafty geometry reduces low speed steering effort without impinging on high-speed stability."

"As glorious as this setup may be,it's covered by the bike's fairing,an integral love-it-or-hate-it design that potential buyers are stuck with because the Glide would look quite strange with it removed"

Quick Reply: Road Glide Questions