Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110" Kit vs 103" Kit California Style

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 110" Kit vs 103" Kit California Style

I previously posted on this forum that California did not certify the 110" Kit. I received a lot of excellent advice, which I appreciated. I decided to go with the 103" Stage II Kit which did pass. I did so for a number of reasons. I purchased the engine upgade with the bike and an extended warranty at the time of purchase of the bike as a package deal in order to have an engine build that is covered under warranty. (I will get a downward adjustmentfor the less expensive 103" Kit.) I plan on a lot of long distance touring with this bike and wanted the comfort of warranty with a built engine if anything went wrong with it. I could have cancelled the engine build and got a refund on the extended warranty and went in one of the other excellent suggested directions in theprevious post. In the end I decided to go with the 103" Kit and SERT. After looking over the charts in the Screaming Eagle Catalog it appeared that there was not much difference between the performance of the 110" and 103" engines. The 103" had about a 5 ft lb deficiency in max torque but there about the same max horsepower in both and the 103" Kit seemed to have a slightly flatter torque curve delivering its max torque over a broader RPM range. Was that the smartest decision? I don't know, but what is done is done and it is in the shop right now.

My question to the motor gurushere is what things could I do within the limits of this build to get up to around 100 ft lbs of torque in the same RPM range (2.5k to 4K RPM) of the 103" Kits maximum torque?

I am thinking of doing some head and/or valve work after it leaves the dealer to get me to that goal. I would be taking the chance that it would void the warranty I am trying to preserve but I am thinking some subtle head work on the stock heads would not bedetected in the event of failure or not be cause to completely void the warranty.

Suggestions welcome.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Ninekiller
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 110" Kit vs 103" Kit California Style

Hi Eddie,

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but something in your post caught my attention. You say you got the SERT. From what every Harley dealer I've called and a lot of the members here have told me, that SERT itself will void your warranty. Your home dealer may honor the warranty but there is no guarantee that any other dealer will. My new UC is getting the 103" Stage II upgrade and the dealer recommends the V & H Fuel Pak as it can be easily disconnected and hidden away if I ever break down away from home and wind up at another dealer. Bottom line is that any fuel management system will void your warranty. Harley wants us to use their download only which will of course leave your bike running lean and hot.