Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride to Sturgis / Ship home

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride to Sturgis / Ship home

What do you guys think of riding to the event and the surrounding area while there, shipping your bike and flying home? Anybody done this? I am definitely going to Sturgis this year, I just don't know if I can get enough time off to truly enjoy the trip. I'd rather take my time getting there and really explore along the way.

If anybody has ever shipped a bike back from Sturgis I'd like to have your input on the company you used and your overall experience.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 AM
racerx1
Cruiser
Default RE: Ride to Sturgis / Ship home

I did similar last year. I rode out from Milwaukee and met some friends in Sturgis. Then I loaded my bike in their trailer and drove home with them. I'm glad I did because 5 hard days riding and partying at the Chip left me pretty wore out.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Here it comes . . . .

You ready for this . . . .

Real bikers ride both ways, there and back

Hack

Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
spacelord
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: btefft

Here it comes . . . .

Hack
I guess that means "real bikers" must be unemployed or rich enough to not need employment!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Spacelord, you left out the third option - it means some of us are have RETIRED. Been there, done that, for 30 years, and now its time to play - so I ride both ways - there and back. If you're still working, your time will come, the Lord willing.

Hack

ORIGINAL: spacelord

ORIGINAL: btefft

Here it comes . . . .

Hack
I guess that means "real bikers" must be unemployed or rich enough to not need employment!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To me it's always been THE RIDE - No matter where we go (we do a 2 to 4 week ride every year as a vacation with 4 - 8 bikes going) - Its the ride that makes it or breaks it - Rally's are just a place to incorp into The Ride like a side trip - But it's still just part of The Ride...

And NO I'm NOT unemployed (I'm self employed so if I'm not working I get no vacation pay) and far from being rich.... But for the last 20+ years there has always been time for The Ride

Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sturgis is a pretty small town, as are most of the towns right around there. You might be looking at riding a distance away from there to find a shipper that will handle your bike with the TLC you expect. Luckily I only live about 300 miles from Sturgis so riding both ways is easy. There is a lot to see in the Black Hills and a lot of nice rides....I can understand why you might not want to cut your stay in the general area too short.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I wish I had enough time.. I can get five days off form work that month. Including the weekends that's nine days to enjoy. It will take my group at least three days to get there and that's if I we are pushing it, four days is more realistic. That'd leave two days to check stuff out at Sturgis and three days to get our butts home. I'd rather take four or five days getting there, hang out for four days and fly home Another option would be to have somebody follow up in a support rig with a trailer big enough for all the bikes and we could haul 'em home.. I dunno.. Uggh.. Maybe I should just quit my job?

Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm riding down from Western Canada 800 miles. From there, i'm heading down into California, then back up the West Coast and into Canada via Victoria Island. Then the ride is back into Alberta. All in all, it's gonna beclose to 3weeks of riding, and I can't wait. Bike there, and bike back. If you need more time, work some extra days in advance and ask your employer to equal time in trade.

Everybody needs a bike holiday at least once a year!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It just a GOOD 2 DAY Putt (1371 miles) for you to get there (done it many time from my place in So Cal) last year 6 bikes went (but ya better be ready to ride) - In Sturges if ya have 3 day there that's enough to see most everything that needs to be seen there... SO you can do it in 9 days easy!!! - GO FOR IT!!!

Quick Reply: Ride to Sturgis / Ship home