Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low can transmission be

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can transmission be

How low can transmission be before there is damage?

The dealer changed mine at the 1k service. I checked it today with the engine cold on jiffy stand and it did not register on dip stick until I screwed it all the way in. I had to add 10 ounces before it was right below the full mark.

I have 569 miles on the bike since the oil change.

What should I tell the dealer? Opinions please.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Razerman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: How low can transmission be

Check manual--On Jiffy stand or level bike before checking

Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
jahays32
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Razerman

Check manual--On Jiffy stand or level bike before checking
[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Razerman
Cruiser

Some bike models require the bike to be sitting straight and level to check the tranns fluid,,Eng. oil may be checked on the jiffy stand position, you need to check the operators manual under (fluid levels and recomended viscosity) to see if your answer to your question is in there,,hope this helps

Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 PM
mllkn6
Tourer

Ride it back to the dealer and ask them to check it with you standing there, if they add any jump two or three feet in the air and raise he!! with them. Get it documented they left it low in case it comes apart on you. Just my 2 cent worth.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 AM
jahays32
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mllkn6

Ride it back to the dealer and ask them to check it with you standing there, if they add any jump two or three feet in the air and raise he!! with them. Get it documented they left it low in case it comes apart on you. Just my 2 cent worth.
Yea that is what I am thinking. The tranny only holds 32 ounces and I had to add 10 ounces. That is almost 1/3 low. I will call them and see what they say. 20 degrees in the morning so I am not riding in.

You would think that they should at least offer to change it out again since the tranny could have ran hotter whith it low? IMO

Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 AM
jahays32
Tourer

Some bike models require the bike to be sitting straight and level to check the tranns fluid,,Eng. oil may be checked on the jiffy stand position, you need to check the operators manual under (fluid levels and recomended viscosity) to see if your answer to your question is in there,,hope this helps
My MOM says to check it on the Jiffy stand. Does not say the tranny has to be hot or cold. But I went and checked my bros who has the same bike and checked his the same way and his read full. But mine did not register on the dipstick at all. Had to add 10 ounces to get it to the full mark.

My question was, running it for 500+ miles like this could it have damaged it or wore it down any?

Damn good service is hard to find. if they can't be trusted to fill the transmission right would you want your dealer to work on more complicated stuff like your forks or tires they might put them on wrong and get you flipping down the pavement.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Razerman
Cruiser

Maybe a (Post Servicing check) is in order, before you leave your dealership, check everything that they touched,,,,,Paint for scuffs,,oil in eng.,,tranny level,,make them accountable before you leave, they hate to wheel your bike back in to finish the job right,,other mechanics in the shop will soon see the mechanic as a stooge,,,,won't happen to you again if he see's you coming in person!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 AM
jahays32
Tourer

Maybe a (Post Servicing check) is in order, before you leave your dealership, check everything that they touched,,,,,Paint for scuffs,,oil in eng.,,tranny level,,make them accountable before you leave, they hate to wheel your bike back in to finish the job right,,other mechanics in the shop will soon see the mechanic as a stooge,,,,won't happen to you again if he see's you coming in person!
Yes it sucks, but this is in my future , ask to borrow a rag and then stand outside and double check the bike for the work that they did and then check the bike for any damage they may have done.

I guess it could be worse, they brought out the wrong bike to my bro at his dealer.

I hope they honor that warranty I may have to use it if they keep servicing my bike.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1236624/tm.htm

Quick Reply: How low can transmission be