Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McCuff Gas Filler with Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCuff Gas Filler with Ultra

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these, http://www.mccuff.com/, with an Ultra Classic. The concept makes sense for a bike with the filler cap on the side of the tank. I'm just not sure how well it would work with the filler cap in the console like on the Ultra. Does the McCuff fit down into the console to properly seal the filler hole?

CH

Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,468 Posts
Default RE: McCuff Gas Filler with Ultra

hmmm, another doo dad to have to carry on your bike. no thanks. do what i do, i just take a paper towel (available right there at the pump) roll it up and then wrap it around the nozzle, pushing the 'boot' as far up as i can. this makes it so its just like a normal gas pump, i can then see how much gas i've put in my tank and can fill it up to the top. those damn boots always shut off way too early.

now granted i have a road king, not an ultra, but the practical application should be the same.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For me it looks like a good way to overfill the tank. I always fill to the top by just holding the bike up and paying attention. It is something else to keep up with.
jim

Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, carrying around something that i have to use to fill it up is no good for me. What would you do with it when your done? Anywhere you put it will smell of gas. So far my only problem is a few small spray droplets coming up when fueling too fast and slowing down helps but gotta watch it cause they don't auto shut off when going slow.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I don't see the need for it.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer

I never had a problem with the Road King. However, every time (at least it seems like every time)I filled the Ultra, gas would flow out the bottom of the filler hole and give my tank about a 1/2 gallon gasoline bath long before the tank is full. Maybe I just need to get used to it in spring. With the location of the filler cap in the middle of the gas tank, it just seems that I can never get a full tank. The front, right 1/4 of the tank remains empty just becaus of the location of the filler cap. At least on the RKC and my wife's Heritage, the cap was on the top right of the tank so you can get as much fuel as possible in the tank. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ultra, I just think there is an awful lot of wasted space in the tank since 1/4 of the tank is above the "full" filler hole when it sits on theside stand. I have even thought about putting a center stand on the bike so it sits level while filling it up so that I can take full advantage of the 6-gallon tank instead of leaving 1/4 of the tank empty every time I "fill" the bike.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

Best $20 I have spent on by scoot, clean fill to the top. I highly recommed it. Bought it at the Love Ride in So Cal.
The napkin/rag mess got old specially after a nice detail job on the bike.
Get it!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
cwilks
Banned

if you can't hit the hole when gassing up?????? you got other issue's......SELL [/align]

Old 01-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer

The problem is the location and position of the filler hole. The back of the hole (closet to the seat) is lower than the front. As the gas sloshes around inside the tank during the fill-up, the "waves" over flow the back of the filler hole and out the console all over the tank. The only way that I have found to avoid this is the very very very slow flow of fuel into the tank to minimize the waves inside the tank. I have to fill so slow (especially as the tank fills) that it literally takes more than 10 minutes almost 15 minutes to "fill" (1/4 of the tank is still empty due to how low the filler hole fits on the console) the tank. Like I said, I probably just have to get used to it. I'm sure there is some trick to the angle to hold the fill nozzle and I'll figure it out despite you smart asses that want to be sarcastic instead of helpful to a fellow rider.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:23 PM
cwilks
Banned

Well as one of the resident "smartass's" the only thing I can say is I have been fueling scooters for over 30 years (Glides for 10 of those and a 06 SG for the last 2) and unless they've changed something in the last 2 I've NEVER had the issues some of you non-smartass types seem to have. I push the nozzle in the little hole and pull the trigger...it stops when its full...no spills...and I cap it and go.....I have NO phuckin idea what the rest of you guys are doing but whatever it is it ain't right [/align]

Quick Reply: McCuff Gas Filler with Ultra