Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In a pickle.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: In a pickle.....need advice

You don't need SERT if you change just the exhaust.

The engine ECM can compensate for pipes as long as the O2 sensors are re-installed on your true duals.

If you decide to add a high-flow air filter (Stage 1) the ECM can still compensate for the increased flow.

At this point, the dealer can install a canned stage 1 map on your stock ECM.

If you are interested in "cooling" the motor by adjusting Air/Fuel Ratio, then get an aftermarket Tuner (PCIII, COBRA FI 2000, etc) and put it on.

IMHO, SERT is for engines that have been heavily customized (for drag racing, new heads/pistons, cams, etc.) and the avg. person don't need that. It's your money so you decide.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: EdwardK

Try to find and independant with a dyno. You'll get better results from an indy than a stealership. If they are afraid to try it with out being trained on it, then I would question their ability as tuners.

I'm talking out of my behind here but I understand that the new SERT is just a software upgrade with some new features. The basic tuning settings aren't going to change. It's just a new software interface. I wouldn't expect that an experienced tunerwould havemuch of a problem understanding it.
Yep I would agree..

Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
reeac
Tourer

I would go for the stage 1 and pipes until they are trained. Start riding.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd let them 'learn' on my bike only if I wasn't paying by the hour. Someone has to be the first. If the tech is a good, conscientious dude, you should still get a good tune.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

put a DTT w WEGO II or a T-Max on and dont let em touch it

Old 04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
rapz
Road Captain

If I understand correctly, the local dealer will have someone come to their shop and train the wrenches on the new tuner. At that point in time, you can actually get the shop mgr to use your bike in the dyno training at no cost and it's conducted by a trainer...not a bad deal and you can argue that (1) they sold you the new tuner knowing none of their staff could program it (correctly); and, (2) that's what other dealers have done. In the meantime you can load a canned program.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

You got lots of choices.......but no matter what you chose remember this: HD dealers usually follow all the rules including those associated with local and EPA emissions......there are dealers out there who will not tune your street bike beyond the pollution threshold.

If that is the case with your dealer, then forget SERT, and if you feel up to it, install one ofthe several fuel injection mamagement devices on the market.

I went with PCIII's on both my bikes and have learned to tweek them easily......I am very happy with the cost and performance.......If I had it to do over again I would have selected the T-Max for my road king because I only replaced my slipons and retained OEM head pipes with 02 sensor bungs.....On my sporty Ireplaced the complete exhaust tho and the new pipes do not have bungs.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Jhorton
Advanced

I agree with the abouve replies. It is not that the dealership doesn't know how to load a stage 1 download, it is because there is no stage 1 download from the MoCo. Take the advice above and get an Arlen Ness Big Sucker D=Stage 1 air cleaner kit, your pipes and the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak. I bought all of mine from americanclassicmotors.com. OrI buy from mandmcycles.com