Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Rest/Sissy Bar for SG other the MOCO

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
amervtwin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Rest/Sissy Bar for SG other the MOCO

Ok, I have my new 06 SG and need some things for it of course, I look in the MOCO book and cant believe the price of some of this stuff(I should not be surprised this is my 6th HD) but it just seems out of control,(like gas) 100 bucks for a piece of crap back rest pad, there has to be another alternative(I hope), has any one found a decent aftermarket product for a resonable price to replace MOCO back rest and sissy bar. I just replaced my speakers yesterday and they had a nice little sticker on them "MADE IN CHINA", I dont even want to know where most of the parts on my bike come from...

Old 04-20-2008, 08:25 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Back Rest/Sissy Bar for SG other the MOCO

I have an '08 EG Standardand was looking for for a passenger backrest from someone else other than HD. After searching around, I really didn't find anything that was cheaper/better than HD had. I ended up ordering the whole deal from Surdyke.com.I know this doesn't help you any.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On some parts you are pretty much stuck with HD. All I can suggest is to look for used parts on Ebay or this site or try places like Chicago HD online that offer 20% off. If you look hard enough you can find a good deal sometimes.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here: http://www.motherwellproducts.com/SearchResults.asp

Primo

Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Animal494
Cruiser

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUAL-...spagenameZWDVW

Same backrest is available from http://www.nativecustombaggers.com/

Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was looking for an alternative to the H-D backrests and racks. I finally ordered the Jardine touring backrest and rack - I thought it looked cool with the billet aluminum and adjustable padding and not everyone had one. They told me that the rack was not available - it would bea few more weeks before the next batch came in. I still ordered the backrest and put my name on the order list for the rack. This was many weeks ago now.

After much e-mail and phone cummunication with the folks at Jardine I was recently informed that they couldn't tell me when the rack would be shipped because they would need to get a FLHR into their shop so they could measure the rack. They hadn't even built the first rack yet! They went on to say, there is no chance the rack will be available until late summer at the earliest - they are waiting on more orders before they build it. Note: This is a rack that is advertised on their web page and in their catalogues - J&P also have it in their catalogue. Sheesh, when I was placing the order they even asked if I wanted to pay for the rack now.

What the F'k... I need the rackfor summer vacation. Now I have a quick release backrest with no rack and no other quick release rack can be used because the Jardine backrest has the mounting points used up. What a waste of money.

My advise, stay away from Jardine products unless you have a lot of time on your hands and don't really care when you get your backrest/rack (if ever). They apparently have no issue with advertising products thay can't provide.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Animal494
Cruiser

Wow, Bad^2! That sucks. I was thinking about picking up one of the Jardine backrests for the same reason you listed. I wondered why I hadn't seen a pic of a bike with the rack on it.

Rack aside, how is the backrest functionally? Comfy?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Animal494
Rack aside, how is the backrest functionally? Comfy?
The backrestitself is a quality piecebut theinstructions couldn't be followed(they were totally wrong) and themounting hardware provided couldn't be made to work. I sent many e-mails containing many pictures to Jardine explaining the problem. Eventually they understood what the problem was and sent me some new mounting hardware (brackets for the bike). It fits fine now and mounts/unmounts with ease. My wife thinks the pad could be larger and softer, butshe really wants to be riding on the back of an Ultra Glide <G> with arm rests, headrests, foot massager, etc.

Assuming Jardine makes changes to the packaging to include the correct mounting hardware and updates the installation instructions, the backrestitself would be excellent. Without the rack it has limited use for me, I ride solo most of the time and when I need a backrest, I also need a rack (for travelling). As I said, now I have no quick release rack options.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56807/9799C430DF4A42E79D4D9BF2B478B93E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Animal494
Cruiser

Thanks! Good review!