Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
The worst thing for any internal combustion engine is heat, especially an air cooled one. So anytime you can remove heat do it. They should be standard on the bikes, but I guess that will screw up the after market business. Jagg makes the coolers for HD.
Heat is good to a point, and if the engine could always run at normal operating temperature it would probably last forever. Cold and too hot are two extremes you should avoid, although you must impose the bike to the first by necessity.

Jagg did make the HD coolers at one time but haven't for two or more years. The current "Premium Oil Cooler" is reportedly made in China, but it is a well-made cooler. I've had mine for 20 months and it works flawlessly.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

That shows how much Ive been out of the loop, its been about 3 years since I last bought a jagg. Well as long as they work.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by iann8ik
start with slipons and stage1 - that made a big difference for me. plus lots of power no cooler on my 08RKC and i've never seen it over 225F on the dipstick gauge. and i must be one of the few that doesn't have problems with the LED dipstick
Agreed. The SE slip-ons and Stage 1 is where I started. Big difference.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by wildrider
thinking about an oil cooler on my 08 rk. how much temp diff will it make on my engine? will it be that much more benificial?
I believe oil coolers should be standard on all TC's, but presently only CVO's are so equipped. They will reduce your peak oil temperatures 20-30°, but be sure to buy one with a thermostat. You don't want a cooler cooling cold oil, as you want the oil to warm up as quickly as possible. HD Premium has a t'stat in the kit (part of the oil filter adapter) and they are optional on Jagg coolers.

Contrary to popular belief they do work when the bike is not moving through convection, but not nearly as efficiently. I removed the chrome cover that came with the HD kit to allow convection to work better, and later added two small fans to switch on manually in heavy traffic. Neither is a panacea, but both do help. Here's a link to the cooler-fan install thread:

Link to cooler fan thread

Note that I changed fans after the first message, so scroll down for the changes. Most won't want to go to this much trouble for a little extra cooling, but it does help somewhat in heavy traffic.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra110
And what fan kit would this be??? Pictures would be great!
In the above message see the link to a thread about fabricating cooler fans.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
That shows how much Ive been out of the loop, its been about 3 years since I last bought a jagg. Well as long as they work.
I thought Jagg made them too 'til I called Jagg and got the poop on it. I'm not sure when they stopped, but it was before I bought my HD cooler, which was in Dec. 2006.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
realbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,Oil cooler highly recommended! The HD or Jagg cooler debate, who gives a crap

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Put on a Lenale fan. It will keep the oil temp way down in traffic. Oil cooler only works when you are moving. I have a cooler and it does little good, even at the legal limit. A cooler will help 20 or 30 at cruise, which is not important unless you are seeing a lot higher than 240.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

..........deleted

Last edited by iclick; 08-15-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

A good fan will do more good than an oil cooler. I have had two HD fans. They did not last very long at all. I now have a Lenale fan that works very well, so far no probllems. Since the cooler only works when moving and only lowers temps 20 to 30 dgs. it does not do much good unless your oil temp is a lot higher than 240. The cylinder head temps is what determines oil temp. When in traffic the fan will cool the cylinders and the oil. I have a Slim Jim on my ultra and cannot see any difference in the temps at cruise, which runs about 230 @ 75 mph on a hot day. In traffic I have seen the oil temp go over 250 dgs without the fan on. Flip on the fan and temps drop below 200 dgs

Quick Reply: oil cooler or not?