Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have TBW issues, read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you have TBW issues, read this!!!!

First time in dealer last week Tech said he talked to HD and engineer said to replace induction module, which he did. After riding it about 100 miles it started the stuck high idle and non-responsive throttle all over again. Called another freakin tow truck and towed it home since it was on Sunday. Earley this morning I tried the 4 cycle ig switch re-set and it worked this time. I rode it 50 miles to dealer. About 1 mile from dealer right out of the blue it does it again but I had no where to pull off the road, so I turned on the emergency flashers on and "limp mode" rode it rest of the way right into service department. Same Tech as before took it in first job. The service writer just called me. He said the Tech called HD again. HD told him its the induction module again. The Tech said bull**** and did some more trouble shooting on his own. He found some broken wires to the TBW system. He said the bike is working fine now. If this is true, the tech might have stumbled across a problem causing all the TBW problems we have heard about recently. It may be a production line assembly problem, or routing problem because my wiring has never been touched or altered for bars, grips, or nothing. I am going to pick it up. I will ask for the exact location of the broken wires and post it. Hopefully the dam thing is fixed now.

EDITED 8-19 8:00 PM UPDATE::::: READ FIRST 4 POSTS IF YOU OWN A 08, THERE MAY BE A PATTERN DEVELOPING HERE

Last edited by Hoffy; 08-19-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck. I'd ride it about 1000 times around the block of the dealership that way if it broke again you could call them and tell them to come get it. I'd be concerned about reliability until it gained my trust. Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting. I'm one of the guys with a bad TBW that's still in the dealership being fixed. Another forum member has been PM'ing me about his problems and his turned out to be crimped and shorted wires also. This was determined after the induction module was replaced. So yes, you may be on to something here.
I've been waiting 2 weeks for parts on mine. If they get it back together only to have the problem repeat itself because of crimped wires I'm gonna flip.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Originally Posted by omgtkk
Very interesting. I'm one of the guys with a bad TBW that's still in the dealership being fixed. Another forum member has been PM'ing me about his problems and his turned out to be crimped and shorted wires also. This was determined after the induction module was replaced. So yes, you may be on to something here.
I've been waiting 2 weeks for parts on mine. If they get it back together only to have the problem repeat itself because of crimped wires I'm gonna flip.
That is very interesting. I wish there was a way to get all 08 owners to read this. I just picked up my bike and it is fixed. The crimped and broken wire was in the plug to the induction module right behind the air cleaner back plate. Just like your friend, they replaced my induction module first. That didnt work, than the Tech found the broken wire, even though the HD engineer told him to replace the induction module again. These wires and plug are never touch unless you had engine work done, so that only leaves a couple things. 1. Either the wires are bent to severly when they are installed on assy. line.
2. The wires themselves are weak/defective and cant withstand vibration and movement.

Again, I think we are on to something here. If you are having problems with your TBW tell your techs to look very carefully and the wires coming from the induction module plug about 1 to 2 inchs up.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay guys, what's a TBW? And does my Fatboy have one on it? I'm hoping it's a touring bike problem and not a softtail one, but I do feel your pain having to deal with this crap.

Big Al

Old 08-20-2008, 06:12 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,005 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheels4ever
Okay guys, what's a TBW? And does my Fatboy have one on it? I'm hoping it's a touring bike problem and not a softtail one, but I do feel your pain having to deal with this crap.

Big Al

TBW=Throttle By Wire (throttle sensor without throttle cables) only found on touring bikes from 08+

Old 08-20-2008, 06:23 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,005 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Maybe Monstermile was on to something with his plan of using the plate from the SE heavy breather behind the regular SE air cleaner. Didn't work for him, so he sold it to me and I used it on mine.....maybe it protects the wires in some way. I have not had any issues yet.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 AM
ForkLift
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info

Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Bump.......

Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem paralles a problem we had with 2 Ford Tempos. rapid accileration defective Throttle Position Sensor------replaced at least three times each car finally checked the wires going into the plug and found them open to the elements and heat filled the voids with dialectric grease, one is still running at 330,000 Kilometers with my repair. never take any wire connections off anymore without using a lot of the grease, untidy--yes ---but no electrical problems here in the Northwest rain country

Quick Reply: If you have TBW issues, read this!!!!