Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's better - race tuner,fuel pack, PC111 or HD download?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do pipes and a air cleaner the down load or fuel pack is all you need. I ordered a fuel pack today for 219.00 no tax and free shipping. If you need to play with the timing a PCIII or race tuner is needed. You need to include some dyno time to really tweek the power commander. If you go with the race tuner, your dealer will probably need to set it up in his dyno. Just hope his Tech is good, I know someone who made three trips back to his dealer to get the tune right.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
gabhart
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thundermax

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
gsviar
6th Gear

Just my opinion but I would go with the Power Commander. You have the liberty to change maps if needed at no extra charge. You can make the bike run richer than you can with the race tuner ( Harley is limited by EPA how rich they can make it run ).
I just got the PC a month ago andso far really pleased how much cooler it runs. Also get less engine noise that I was getting once it got hot. Uses much more gas is the drawback. I contacted fuel moto and change my map for better mileage in the cruise range so I will see how it goes.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

I tossed around the fuel moto set up vs the true dual / SERT and am glad I went with the Rineharts & Sert. granted it was about 400.00 more, but in my opinion it was well worth the expense.I did get the dyno for the SERT like Sifulars suggested. There is just something about a "piggyback" controller that just doesn't sit well with me. I am sure they are a good product, however I have seen too many of my buddies fail on the road.
One of them just unplugged it, and run with just the factory ECM original program. 370 miles later his bike locked up from running too lean.
Good luck with YOUR choice.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 AM
zoomin
Advanced

Harley's download still leaves the bike lean because of the EPA. The sert after dyno tuning isn't lean. I think I was around 13.1:1. I also have to agree with DZLDR that I know a couple of people who have had a pc fail

Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tuner has as much if not more leeway tuning a SERT as they do with a PCIII. Just like the PCIII the engine can be made to run much richer than anyone here would probably want, the tuning on the SERT is NOT limited by EPA, but more than likely after a tune with either your bike wouldn't pass an EPA test. I chose the SERT because it is used to tune the bike, then it is taken off....nothing left hanging on the bike and after spending a lot of time researching the subject on this forum I found what seemed like a lot more people have problems with the PCIII than with the SERT.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the past 6+ years that I have had PCIIIs on my various FI bikes I have never had one fail nor I have ever heard on failing. That does not mean that they can't fail but I have never seen it.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new SERT is not as good as the old one. The guy that developed the original technology and still held the rights has now developed TTS Mastertune. I have been told by those who know far more than me that it is excellent.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
...You bike will only run as well as the map you are running. A dyno tune done by a good shop will ALWAYS beat a canned map. PERIOD...
I don't doubt that one bit! I'd like to have my bike dyno'd, but I can't really justify paying $375 for a dyno and custom PCIII map. I've tried two "canned" maps so far and the second one is a keeper for me.

Well, let me take that back... Assuming my gas mileage is still great, it's a keeper. I don't have a handle on just how bad it decreased the gas mileage yet.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
What dealer does this? for $150.00
I just assumed they all did it?

Chris

Quick Reply: What's better - race tuner,fuel pack, PC111 or HD download?