Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker Plus 1 oil pan? Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Baker Plus 1 oil pan? Anyone??

OK, did a lot of searching this board and so far haven't come across anyone asking about the Baker +1 oil pan. Now, adding an extra quart of oil is only good. Better for cooling, better for longevity for the oil, etc.. But has anyone put one of these oil pans on any touring model? Was it easy? Does it seal against the engine well?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Rethy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Baker oil pan

I don't have one but if I lived in a warm climate, southwest or desert i would probably put one on in addition to an oil cooler. I will likely do the crashbar conversion with a jagg oil filter adapter and that adds about a quart capacity this winter. If you find a good price let us know as I think they run about $400. I would not worry about sealing issues. Any Baker product will likely far exceed anything the Mo Co puts out. I think the price is the only reason they are not more popular. The benefit would be the longetivity you add to the motor life but if you trade up before hi miles you may not see the return on your investment. I would put the stock pan back on if you decided to get a different bike. ------------Rethy

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
56Maynard
Cruiser

The extra quart is nice but once its up to temp, its up to temp. As far as the pan design offering any cooling, I doubt it. This myth has been dispelled about once a decade since the 50s that I am aware of. The oil in contact with the "cooling pan" tends to stay in contact with the pan as opposed to the hot oil going past it and right back into the oil pick up without coming in contact with the "cooling pan".

I'd just get a cooler with a thermostat and call it good.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

I have the HD Super Happy Family Premium cooler, and I didn't think the pan would cool any, but more oil means more oil to take heat away from the engine to the cooler.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 56Maynard
The extra quart is nice but once its up to temp, its up to temp. As far as the pan design offering any cooling, I doubt it. This myth has been dispelled about once a decade since the 50s that I am aware of. The oil in contact with the "cooling pan" tends to stay in contact with the pan as opposed to the hot oil going past it and right back into the oil pick up without coming in contact with the "cooling pan".

I'd just get a cooler with a thermostat and call it good.

I have cut an past this from Bakers web site:

"- Designed with 3D solid modeling to increase pan capacity by 1 quart.
- Reduces engine oil temperature by 10º on a 80º day.
The feed and return on a stock pan are located within a 2 inches of each other in the front of the pan. BAKER+1 pan has the feed located in the rear and the return in the front for more compete system circulation.
- Multiple integral aluminum baffles eliminate the stock plastic baffle."

In looking at the photos on the site, I'm inclinded to beleive their claim! It sure looks like it will function far better over the H-D's and its flimsy plastic baffle.

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/flt/index.htm#p1p

Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Thanks, I've looked at that for a while, was just wondering if anyone had actually purchased this and installed it to see real world numbers, if you know what I mean

Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Baker +1

I installed the baker +1 on a 117 build on my FLTR. I now have gone 10K miles with the build and run it through this past summer. Here is what I think.

#1 I run it with 4.5 quarts as I find that I actually run hotter with the full 5 quarts. I run a HD cooler as well and see oil temps running @ 230. They will go higher depending on rpm and speed.

I do not buy the claim of 20 degree drop in temp. I have the aluminum version not the chrome billet. I will tell you that you have to be very careful when torqueing the oil plug. I stripped it easily and had to helicoil the the Baker. During the process of maching and cleaning the oil tank the powdercoating starting coming off. I had to repowdercoat it.

Overall: I would use it again, probably helicoil the oil plug prior to installation. Extra oil is nice but the claims of significant heat reduction are overblown IMO

The following users liked this post:
Regiman64 (09-30-2022)
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Thanks, this is great to know.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Rethy
.I will likely do the crashbar conversion with a jagg oil filter adapter and that adds about a quart capacity this winter.
I have always like this idea because the crashbar is a big cchrome tube hanging out there in the breeze. How much better of a cooler can you get? Even here in Oklahoma, I have not felt my bike get too hot, so I haven't been motivated to install a cooler. If I do however, the crashbar idea will be the first method I try.

Beary

Old 10-11-2008, 12:45 PM
56Maynard
Cruiser

But the same thing occurs with the "big chrome tube". The cooler oil tends to stick to the inner surface of the tube while hot oil rolls past it without coming in contact to the cooling apparatus. Warmer oil is insulated and isolated from the surface that is dissipating the heat by the cooler oil.

I think if we all did a little research into thermodynamics as well as how an effective cooler is designed, it would not wind up to be to Mr. Baker's advantage.

Another point to ponder for fun is, now that we have this extra quart of oil in our bike, how much longer does it take the increased capacity to cool back down?

Quick Reply: Baker Plus 1 oil pan? Anyone??