Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another 2007 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got 43K on mine. The tranny bearings went south but the engine has had no problems.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There doesn't seem to be of anything wrong with 07-08 Baggers except on this web sight.
The trany noise has been explained a hundred times here, the heat problem has been explained here a hundred times and the IDS is not a bandage, foriegn bikes have been using it for 30+ years.
I personally think there are alot of whiners riding Harley's these days.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
There doesn't seem to be of anything wrong with 07-08 Baggers except on this web sight.
The trany noise has been explained a hundred times here, the heat problem has been explained here a hundred times and the IDS is not a bandage, foriegn bikes have been using it for 30+ years.
I think there is a large portion of 07 owners who are very happy with their purchase. For the most part you can place me in that category. And most of us don't speak up to that. Yes I've added some items to my bike, the IDS, a SERT, pipes, etc. What's new with that. I also purchased the extended warranty, and I did on my 04 as well.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:28 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I got your back on this one. If we have to fight our way out of here, I think we have a chance!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:37 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by max56
I got your back on this one. If we have to fight our way out of here, I think we have a chance!

Hey Max, did you do the cams with your setup? How do you like it?

I have an 07 that has had some problems like starter and clutch assy.
It is approaching 20k and I still run the crap out of it. When it breaks
I fix it.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah'm thar with ya!<G>

Warn't aimin' my comment(s) at any particular person, just a general observation. It's an air-cooled engine that doesn't like ta be run under 2k rpm. Nuthin' unusual 'bout that. Me, ah'm happy. Those that ain't are free ta choose another.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=ButtMan1000;4025544]If you are referring to my post,

Problems:

1) The 6 speed tranny noise issues, whatever the cause,

2) The 96 C.I. heat issues, whatever the cause,

3) The IDS "A Band-Aid", at least in my opinion,

4) The 110 CVO bikes and their gasket, cylinder issues,

quote]

Filled the tranny with Redline Shockproof Heavy, added a Boarzilla pipe - What noise?

Built it to a 120" - engine temps run about 205 cruising - heat, what heat?

Installed the IDS, made it much smoother, dont consider it a band-aid.

120 doesnt leak a drop - gasket and cylinder issues?

Ok, now that I have had my fun, I can say the 07's did have some issues, when stock mine was unbearable hot in traffic, and I did have the "can of rocks sound in the primary and the tranny whine in 5th, but aside from the issues I cured by doing modifications, it has been no better or worse than my previous HD's. Oh, the HK stereo did take a crap earlier this year, and thankfully, that was still under warranty.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
If you are referring to my post,

Problems:

1) The 6 speed tranny noise issues, whatever the cause,

2) The 96 C.I. heat issues, whatever the cause,

3) The IDS "A Band-Aid", at least in my opinion,

4) The 110 CVO bikes and their gasket, cylinder issues,

I considered trading or selling my 2003 Super Glide to purchase a CVO Bagger, but after reading about the problems with these bikes, leading to the "Recall", I want no parts of that problem. I kept the Super Glide and now have two pre- 07 Harley's.

The 07 and 08 bikes have gearing that makes 6th gear useless below 70 MPH. The 09 finally resolved this issue. I have ridden an 09, and I am extremely envious of the range of speeds that gear can be used in.

THe IDS should have at least been a "Factory Retrofit", offered for free to anyone that "Self-inflicted" the problem that required the factory to offer the kit.

The heat issue required Harley to re-design the exhaust for the first time in years for the sole purpose of helping alleviate engine heat. The system installed on the 09's actually shuts down the rear cylinder to again help alleviate the engine heat. Prior to 07 there were offerings of Lexan Heat Shields to place below the front seat to deflect heat from the engine.

Reading ElectraRick, who used to post here frequently, was the final straw that led to my decision top avoid the 07's. He described eloquently his problems and disgust with his 07, and got rid of the bike.

Do a search for these issues here on the forum,

I am stating my opinion after reading many posts on this forum. I did not say, and do not say, that every 07 has these issues. I do not however, want to be one of the posters complaining about the 07 I might have bought. Piece of mind from my perspective, in my decision.

Nuff Said,

Yamaha must make a crap bike too. You never felt heat like the heat that came off my 05 FJR, made my 09 SG seem cool by comparison. My kid (18y.o) has a 07 RKC with stage 1 96" motor. He rides the crap out of it and just loves the bike. I have never been able to find a perfect motorbike or car or truck and the good Lord knows I have wasted a lot of money looking. I love my Harleys.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:05 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
If you are referring to my post,

The heat issue required Harley to re-design the exhaust for the first time in years for the sole purpose of helping alleviate engine heat. The system installed on the 09's actually shuts down the rear cylinder to again help alleviate the engine heat. Prior to 07 there were offerings of Lexan Heat Shields to place below the front seat to deflect heat from the engine.
I believe the real reason they re-designed the exhaust was so they could use the same head pipes on the trike. There was no way to get the exhaust under it the way it was, and it was cheaper to make an exhaust that would fit both the trike and touring models than to make two seperate systems. But yes, it does take care of some of the heat issues.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I may have gotten lucky (but i don't think so) I had 23480 miles on my 07 SG with HQs 103 on it --I did not take it easy on the bike -- I did wheelies, rolling burnouts, raced it, got it sideways as often as I could, wrecked it twice (one was my fault) I did not have one problem out of the bike. It was hot, it was loud, but everything held up.

If the dumb-azz that painted it (actually I'm the Dumb *** cause I paid him) would have followed my instuctions instead of his artistic intuition I would have kept it.

Some people have bad expierences with every model year

Quick Reply: another 2007 bites the dust