Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another 2007 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
gandy dancer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another 2007 bites the dust

Been keeping up with "Hog" on the board about the problems he is having with his bike. Well last Wed as I was riding about 60mph on my 2007 FLHTC my oil light came on. Next thing I hear is the motor knocking. Got it shut down within 2 or 3 miles but knew it was too late. First thing I figured was the oil pump has gone out. Got it to the shop that afternoon and got a call today saying that they had finally had a chance to tear into it. The oil pump had competely closed up and gone out--motor is shot. They have a HD Rep coming down to College Station on Friday. Good news is that the Shop is telling me that this has happened before and that each time Harley has made it right by putting in a new motor--had 1 month left on the warranty---Thank God---so will find out soon what they will do. Question is, hope many 07 bikes have had this problem? Been riding 41 years and have had alot of bikes. Have my HD and a Triumph at the moment--I trust the Bonne more than the Dresser---HD has got to get some of these problems taken care of--If not, they will be losing even more business---Hey Hog-lets hope and pray we both come out ok on this----------------------------

Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
debay
Tourer

How many miles????

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gandy dancer
Been keeping up with "Hog" on the board about the problems he is having with his bike. Well last Wed as I was riding about 60mph on my 2007 FLHTC my oil light came on. Next thing I hear is the motor knocking. Got it shut down within 2 or 3 miles but knew it was too late. First thing I figured was the oil pump has gone out. Got it to the shop that afternoon and got a call today saying that they had finally had a chance to tear into it. The oil pump had competely closed up and gone out--motor is shot. They have a HD Rep coming down to College Station on Friday. Good news is that the Shop is telling me that this has happened before and that each time Harley has made it right by putting in a new motor--had 1 month left on the warranty---Thank God---so will find out soon what they will do. Question is, hope many 07 bikes have had this problem? Been riding 41 years and have had alot of bikes. Have my HD and a Triumph at the moment--I trust the Bonne more than the Dresser---HD has got to get some of these problems taken care of--If not, they will be losing even more business---Hey Hog-lets hope and pray we both come out ok on this----------------------------
There's one good reason to extend the warranty!! Glad you made it in your warranty! Just barely!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to read this, but I would not tell your dealer it took 2-3 miles to shut down. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
gandy dancer
Cruiser

Was on a two lane back road ---took a couple of minutes to find a place to pull over----only use the HD for trips over 200 miles, the Bonne is alot more fun around town and for work, so the Classic only had 12,000 miles on it---was told that the pumps don`t usually fail at that many miles---so when do they fail--at 20 or 30,000 miles

Old 10-23-2008, 08:08 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno - have 20k on mine w/o problem, buddy has 35k on his w/o problem. Has anyone been into the engine? Also - buy the extended warranty. No matter what, it's worth the peace of mind, IMO.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gandy dancer
the Classic only had 12,000 miles on it---was told that the pumps don`t usually fail at that many miles---so when do they fail--at 20 or 30,000 miles
Great. Now that I'm coming up to the 20 thousand mark. Think I'll trade down to a low mileage '02, punch it out, and not look back.

How'd they say your crank runout was? How does an oil pump "close up" ?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Post Unfortunately Accurate Assessment,

Originally Posted by King FLH
Great. Now that I'm coming up to the 20 thousand mark. Think I'll trade down to a low mileage '02, punch it out, and not look back.

How'd they say your crank runout was? How does an oil pump "close up" ?
Bingo!!!

That is why, early this year, when I was contemplating a "Bagger", I decided to go older than the 07's with all their problems and the 08's also

I settled on a pristine 04 Road Glide that looks brand new. It had all the add-on's that I would have wanted, and with selling price, I had the money to really hop up the motor enough to put a smile on my face every time I ride the bike.

Having recently tested a new 09 Road Glide, I can only say that extensive motor mods would have been needed to produce the thrill factor I have now.

Happy Camper!!

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 10-23-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

"All their problems"?!?? Many of the problems seem ta be self-inflicted, primarily 'cuz of issues w/lugging the engine. It's kinda like blamin' a pole cat fer makin' ya stinky when ya goose him...

Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Post "Self-Inflicted"???

Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
"All their problems"?!?? Many of the problems seem ta be self-inflicted, primarily 'cuz of issues w/lugging the engine. It's kinda like blamin' a pole cat fer makin' ya stinky when ya goose him...
If you are referring to my post,

Problems:

1) The 6 speed tranny noise issues, whatever the cause,

2) The 96 C.I. heat issues, whatever the cause,

3) The IDS "A Band-Aid", at least in my opinion,

4) The 110 CVO bikes and their gasket, cylinder issues,

I considered trading or selling my 2003 Super Glide to purchase a CVO Bagger, but after reading about the problems with these bikes, leading to the "Recall", I want no parts of that problem. I kept the Super Glide and now have two pre- 07 Harley's.

The 07 and 08 bikes have gearing that makes 6th gear useless below 70 MPH. The 09 finally resolved this issue. I have ridden an 09, and I am extremely envious of the range of speeds that gear can be used in.

THe IDS should have at least been a "Factory Retrofit", offered for free to anyone that "Self-inflicted" the problem that required the factory to offer the kit.

The heat issue required Harley to re-design the exhaust for the first time in years for the sole purpose of helping alleviate engine heat. The system installed on the 09's actually shuts down the rear cylinder to again help alleviate the engine heat. Prior to 07 there were offerings of Lexan Heat Shields to place below the front seat to deflect heat from the engine.

Reading ElectraRick, who used to post here frequently, was the final straw that led to my decision top avoid the 07's. He described eloquently his problems and disgust with his 07, and got rid of the bike.

Do a search for these issues here on the forum,

I am stating my opinion after reading many posts on this forum. I did not say, and do not say, that every 07 has these issues. I do not however, want to be one of the posters complaining about the 07 I might have bought. Piece of mind from my perspective, in my decision.

Nuff Said,

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 10-23-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: another 2007 bites the dust