Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,237 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
And as long as nobody modifies the tune that they installed, you're good-to-go. It's not that every aftermarket tune voids a warranty, it's the guys with laptops adjusting fuel tables/timing/injector pulse width/etc. that think they're tuners. If they blow it up, and take it in to HD, and HD checks, it's their nickel.
and how would they know whether or not their tune was modified?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
and how would they know whether or not their tune was modified?
Every change ever made to any computer program leaves a "footprint". They can pull up a "Date Last Modified" mode, just like any PC operating system.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also consider this: 2009 software from HD is NEW. You don't know what they can track or not now. Found this statement on a site that sells XIEDS...

"The 2009 FLH's are not compatible with any of the IED family of products. We have not certified the 09 FL's for any of the IED product line. The ECM software load HD is using in the 09 FLH's is completely different than earlier model FL's and HD seems to have changed the wiring harness. The results we have seen for these bikes are not to our high standards. If you have an 09 FL and purchased XiED's please contact us. We will be looking for an 09 specific FL upgrade in the future, but for now riders will need to explore other upgrade options to alter their fuel mixture."

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Last edited by RODEO; 11-15-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not happy with my Xied. Made my bike idle rough and had a bad vibration at 2200 RPM. Does seem to run a little better over 2200 RPM, but cant live with the vibration.

Went back to stock, runs fine, standard HD idle and no vibration around 2200 RPM.

I plan to go with a SERT when I get around to it. The PCIII won't fit on my UCSE3 because it has ABS, no room. Tried it, sent it back. The SERT is smaller, mounts under the seat.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Note also that the new Power Commander V series is supposed to be about half as small as the PC-III version so maybe that is an option for you?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hdvrodsg
I spoke with a HD tech today who says there's no way they can tell if an aftermarket fuel management system was installed on the bike if it is removed prior to going to a dealer. Marks on the ECM pins, yeah right.....
That tech is full of s hit. I know for a fact that there are tell tale marks, on pins, bolt heads, pulleys (on super chargers). Ive seen it my self and at dealers. Ive been a wrench for over 30 years and from what I see, the HD techs they are getting now a days are not like they use to be. The whole industry has gone down the toilet. Nobody wants to be a REAL mechanic anymore that has to go through an apprentice program. Now the industry is getting under educated people and the bikes are so complex so do the math. They have parts changers instead of people who can diagnose and fix it right the first time.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:23 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
That tech is full of s hit. I know for a fact that there are tell tale marks, on pins, bolt heads, pulleys (on super chargers). Ive seen it my self and at dealers. Ive been a wrench for over 30 years and from what I see, the HD techs they are getting now a days are not like they use to be. The whole industry has gone down the toilet. Nobody wants to be a REAL mechanic anymore that has to go through an apprentice program. Now the industry is getting under educated people and the bikes are so complex so do the math. They have parts changers instead of people who can diagnose and fix it right the first time.

This guy also has been a HD tech for almost 30 years, I'm just repeating what he said. I could care less if my ECM connector pins are de-flowered after plugging in my fuel pac. If HD made it right from the factory, we wouldn't be talking about it now, would we??. I know, EPA standards....

I guess all techs will be issued magnifying glasses from now on to check out the pins on the ECM connectors....LOL

Old 11-15-2008, 08:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,237 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
Every change ever made to any computer program leaves a "footprint". They can pull up a "Date Last Modified" mode, just like any PC operating system.
yeah, i understand that. but i'm not so sure that modifying the map on the pciii is going to have that info on it. at least not on the pciii itself.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me make this as easy as possible. The MM act of 1975 was enacted before the technology age of vehicles and is very vague. Yes it does protect the consumer but there are many lawyers out there that can tear this to shreds in regards to fuel injection, computers , tune etc.
First off yes the MOCO can tell if any type of tuner is installed. Like posted earlier there are parameter tests', since 2005 the speedo is driven from the ECM, the ECM has and hour operations meter, and other sources. With regards to the ThundeMax, every time you remove and or re-install a ECM it performs a passcode learn process, and will show a passive history code present in the ECM data while the TM was in use. Not all this data is avalable at a dealer level.
The truth is "ANY" change to the emmission setting will void your Powertrain only warranty. I have 16 years with the MOCO and they are concerned with Major situations in regards to the tune. If a dealer has installed and tuned wiht a SE Tuner, your chances are better but not guaranteed. The MOCO does not like other tuners because they "trick" the ECM to get to a desired setting. This taxes the ECM and sensors reducing life, and basically like posted before, "It's not theirs. Why should the MOCO pay for someone elses parts? If the dealer calls Tech Service for assistance, the first question they have "is it stock?" If a dealer can diagnosis and repair without needs of a Digital Tech or calling, the question never comes up. In regards to the guy's buddy with the blown motor and HD won't pay. All I have to say is there is more to the story. I am gonna get killed for this and no hate mail, but the MOCO does care about their customers. Only if you have not been watching the stock market would not know why manufactures are asking more questions. Money's tight everywhere.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Gutman,
To the contrary, I for one appreciate your post and your honesty too. it helps prove what many here suspect. I think if we had solid information instead of lots of here-say, we would all feel better about our future decisions to buy Harley Davidsons and then to consider modifications afterwards. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Quick Reply: HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties